Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

What's your view on Palworld?

Comments

• SmartAlakazam
    SmartAlakazam Member Posts: 338 ✭✭✭
    25 Agrees 25 Likes 25 LOLs 100 Comments

This is horrible. You can easily see the Pokémon ripoff and why would you want to shoot little defensless animals?!

• ORBEETLE345
    ORBEETLE345 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Likes 10 Comments

I think you might have gotten when Palworld was announced and when it released mixed up. The game was announced about three-ish years but was only released on the 19th of January this year.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

@Acornyo

Terrible game though, because who wants to kill cute animals, especially ones that work for you?

@SmartAlakazam

why would you want to shoot little defensless animals?!

Some people do. Just because something doesn't appeal to you, or even a large audience, does not mean that there isn't an audience for it or that it is inherently a bad concept.

• SmartAlakazam
    SmartAlakazam Member Posts: 338 ✭✭✭
    25 Agrees 25 Likes 25 LOLs 100 Comments
  • nightblitz42
    nightblitz42 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    First Anniversary 25 Likes 5 Agrees 5 Answers

I think it's fun. The gameplay is completely different from Pokemon; it's mainly a base-building game where you build facilities and assign captured "Pals" as workers. I don't think the Pokemon Co. has done any base-building games like that. And as far as combat is involved, it isn't even turn-based like Pokemon's. All the plagirism is in the visual department -- character models, animations, and so forth.

As for plagirizing Pokemon designs... should I care? With how much money Palworld has been making, there's no way Nintendo lawyers aren't looking closely at it. Pokemon is the biggest franchise in the world, and unlike many victims of plagirism, they have the capability to sue for damages. So I'm sure Nintendo and The Pokemon Co. will take whatever legal action they feel is most appropriate (and will get them the most $$$).

The AI allegations, I'm pretty sure, are completely baseless. That is to say, I haven't seen any evidence that AI was used to develop Palworld. Some of the Pal designs are unoriginal, yes, but not every unoriginal piece of media is necessarily AI generated. The original character I invented in my head just now, "Blue Pikachu," is highly derivative but not AI generated.

So yeah. Cool game, shame about the plagirism. Hope they up the quality of their creature design in future updates.

• ORBEETLE345
    ORBEETLE345 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Likes 10 Comments

I'm not against it because of it being a monster catcher game, I don't like because some of the designs look eerily similar to Pokémon

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

Many of Pokémon's designs are inspired by real world animals. Given that Palworld uses similar inspirations for its creatures, it is inevitable some of them will look similar. Nintendo and Gamefreak do not own birds, monkeys, penguins or anything else that has been used as the basis for a Pokémon design.

If someone can prove that a design deliberately copies a Pokémon design, there might be a legal case. Tracing the design or using the same model, etc.

But simply having a yellow mouse or a blue penguin in a game does not mean someone stole Pikachu or Piplup.

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers

Personally the high chance of some "pals" being AI generated makes me dislike it, as AI just steals art to mix it up together and pretend it's new, and the low standards some people have and not wanting to pay an actual person for "a simple drawing" make them view it as good enough, better than "greedy" artists.

Not to mention the sheer lack of creativity on the game's most notable feature, pals. Just changing some colours or placing of things and maybe changing how many legs they stand on is not making something unique and they shouldn't monetise something that's not theirs.

No problem with the gameplay or anything else though, or even it being a monster catcher, I only dislike the actual "pals."

• YagoFuecoco
    YagoFuecoco Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Answers 5 LOLs 100 Comments

I just don't like it because of the violence and cyberbullying I suffered because of this game, honestly, I'm just going to talk to other fans here because it's more comfortable

• YagoFuecoco
    YagoFuecoco Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Answers 5 LOLs 100 Comments

I hate Palworld in the depths of my soul, the game is a blatant and distorted copy of Pokémon, to catch the Palworld animals you have to beat them, and besides the game being disgusting, and thanks to this trash called Palworld, I canceled my account on YouTube, and now I'm just going to interact with other Pokémon fans here on the forum even though it's healthier and more comfortable for me, because on YouTube and Twitter there are only bad and toxic people, and I still suffered Cyberbullying because of this rubbish game , but honestly, I'm going to continue with Pokémon that is super meaningful to me