Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

What's your view on Palworld?

Comments

• Soyjak
    Soyjak Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic 5 Agrees First Comment Name Dropper

Competition breeds excellence.

I, for one, welcome PalWorld, as its quality is much better than what GameFreak has given us for the past 2 generations (8 & 9).

Hopefully the success of this game will push them to stop cutting corners with their games and ACTUALLY INCLUDE ALL POKÉMON like they've always done on all gens prior to Gen 8.

Pokémon is the biggest-grossing media franchise of all time. Bigger than the MCU, Harry Potter, and Star Wars COMBINED. Which is something extremely worth mentioning on these scenarios.

Pokémon can today get away with mediocrity precisely because there is no competition. So I'm hoping that PalWorld's outstanding success will force The Pokémon Company to give us actual high-quality games without the anti-player practices we've seen since the Switch came out 👍

• puplover1118
    puplover1118 Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees First Anniversary 25 Likes

Is Palworld really what you can call “competition”? It’s evident that the pals were “inspired” by Pokémon designs, and the whole concept hinges on a subversion of expectations that we have for these games due to Pokémon. Of course, a game can be subversive and original, but the designs in Palworld, as previously stated, barely count as “original”.

Pokémon already had other competitors as well, namely Digimon and Yokai Watch. Now, compare these franchises to Palworld. Only one relies on not-so-unique designs and shock value. The other two try to stand on their own merits. I believe you can guess which is the odd one out.

I leave you with this: isn’t this the game that has someone who looks like Nessa but is white?

• YagoFuecoco
    YagoFuecoco Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Answers 5 LOLs 100 Comments

I think it's cruel and bloodthirsty, I think Palworld is a cruel copy of Pokémon made just for dissatisfied people, I'll never get close, and just because I simply don't like this game I suffered cyberbullying with it, so I don't ever want to play this drug and I'm only going to interact here now, YouTube never again

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

The only evidence people seem to cite is the fact that one of the creators said he liked AI. That is not enough to prove that it was actually used. Is there any more definitive proof?

I do not seem to share the moral objection to AI that others hold. Even if AI use were proven, that is not enough to convince me of wrongdoing. I think people have a lot of misconceptions about it.

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 809 ✭✭✭
    100 LOLs 100 Likes 100 Agrees 500 Comments

AI in palworld iš just a way to cut costs. And it seems like they're making enough for a sequel. Unfortunate.

• TheJeffers

@puplover1118

Is Palworld really what you can call “competition”?

A game that can generate large sales numbers and threatens to take sales away from Pokémon if they don't improve their product? Yes. It is exactly what the series needs.

It’s evident that the pals were “inspired” by Pokémon designs

Can you show me some? Perhaps with some more concrete evidence of plagiarism and theft than claiming that Piplup's existence means Nintendo own blue penguins as a concept.

Not that I am saying you made a claim like that. But that is all I keep seeing.

and the whole concept hinges on a subversion of expectations that we have for these games due to Pokémon. Of course, a game can be subversive and original, but the designs in Palworld, as previously stated, barely count as “original”.

I would say the game looks to be more of a take on games like Ark than Pokémon, it just happens to have more of a monster collecting gimmick than a dinosaur hunting one (and looks better made than Ark).

Pokémon already had other competitors as well, namely Digimon and Yokai Watch.

And clearly this competition has been enough to force Gamefreak to produce better quality work and take more risks.

Now, compare these franchises to Palworld. Only one relies on not-so-unique designs and shock value. The other two try to stand on their own merits. I believe you can guess which is the odd one out.

This one is very funny. Have you seen Digimon designs? Have you seen some Digimon media? I think Digimon has more depth than simple shock value, but I would say Digimon is edgier than Palworld.

Not to mention the Megami Tensei series, which is a monster collector that predates Pokémon, and that series regularly nukes Tokyo and has you side with Lucifer to kill God.

I leave you with this: isn’t this the game that has someone who looks like Nessa but is white?

I don't know what you are talking about. Can you post the character, perhaps with a comparison. Is it actually the same model with a pallette swap? Or a character who looks similar?

I think a lot of people are getting bent out of shape and twisting themselves in knots to try and prove plagiarism and copyright violation. I am sure Nintendo's lawyers would have swept in years ago when it was first announced if they thought they could prove a case against this game.

It is okay if you do not like this game. It is okay if it does not appeal to you. It is fine to consider it a shallow derivative, a lazy subversion or an edgy clone, or however else you choose to deride it.

But I assure you, the multinational corporation holding the rights to the largest media franchise on Earth does not need your help to defend its intellectual property from the indie game.

You have every right to dislike it, critique it and not play it yourself. I do not understand the desperation to get this game shut down and taken away from those who do like it.

Let cool heads and decorum win the day.

• ORBEETLE345
    ORBEETLE345 Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Likes 10 Comments

I'm fine with it being around and if people want to play it but for me I probably won't.

Also, thanks for finishing that whole argument as it was getting quite big.

• Iihs
    Iihs Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

After reading through some over some of other comments on here is concerning the amount of people that are hating on this game using the basis of copying the creature models from Pokémon. I am a huge fan of both the Pokémon franchise and the new game Palworld. Yes, some of the pals and Pokémon look alike using Anubis and lucario as an example but both creature have the same resemblance to the god Anubis. The models of a lot the creature in palworld resemble that of real creature/animals. Foxparks, cattiva, and rushoar as more example of the animals they resemble hinted in the names of the pals.

after putting in about 100 hours of game play into palworld since it’s early access launch it’s evident to me that both game are in completely different genres. Where as the objective of Pokémon in simpler terms is to collect them all and palworld when you get down to it at its core a survival game. As someone who play mostly survival game I see more features from other survival game within palworld than that of the features from Pokémon (ark survival evolved and Conan exiles as examples). As for the people that are calling palworld a Pokémon rip off I just can’t see how that is the case aside from the creature models but without actually evidence of that I will continue to ask people to give palworld a chance.

• CarumoTopaz
    CarumoTopaz Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    5 Likes 5 LOLs First Anniversary 10 Comments

Well, the Pokémon Company has indirectly mentioned Palworld due to the amounts of inquiries.

Take it as you will.

• TheJeffers

@CarumoTopaz I saw that statement. It essentially reads as, 'please stop emailing us. We know. We will take care of it legally if there is anything to be done. Please stop harassing people and sending death threats'.

The sheer fervour that has been drummed up over the game is astounding. I wish we could discuss the matter calmly rather than having people leaping to conclusions and spitting utter venom.

Unfortunately, internet.