Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Matchmaking

Someone explain how I've played 80+ battles in the last two days with probably about 15-20 wins. I'm not saying I'm the best player out there, but how are people at level 25 making it to master rank? Why are players still abandoning matches halfway through and their Pokemon staying at either home or constantly getting self-ko? Why is matchmaking so bad and when will it improve?

Can the ranking points not be adjusted to only level up when you win instead of taking points away when you lose? Like, keep people at 0 score if you lose or surrender. You offer because there is no way you win in the world. I've wasted time and energy trying to win these battles with lousy matchmaking, and even with several losses in a row, there is no sign of the CPU bots that used to appear in ranked. So, even the tiniest hope of winning is lost at this point. The amount of stress that players deal with when getting bad teams is unreal - it's not only emotional at this point because you're constantly stressed as to whether you will win or not, but it's physical because now you're going button crazy while trying to hit every single move you know at the opposing Pokemon who's trying to do what they're there for. And to add to the list, there is a network error that keeps popping up regularly, which takes away about 30 seconds of selection time, so now you're stuck with quick selection or going with favorite Pokemon, and luckily, one of the other players doesn't have the same favorite because if they do, may the PokeGods have mercy on you! Because the game will randomly pick a Pokemon for you if one is not selected by the end of the selection. I finally got tired of the matchmaking and abandoned my first Ranked match - now I can finally understand why players abandon the matches halfway or even before they start - because we know the team won't behave, and "you lose" is imminent at this point. I felt terrible for the team but offered to surrender, knowing that only one goal besides home remained intact. Nobody surrendered, and they played it all the way through until the loss was declared. I'm not saying this to normalize quitting - but when the players are dealing with all of this while simply trying to play - I think someone needs to look into making it better for players - I understand the need for building a competitive gameplay platform, however, once consider players that aren't playing ranked for winning championships - but at the end of the day it is for reward and to feel good about being able to win regardless of the amount of time they lose. Even the wins are unsatisfactory most of the time.

I'm losing faith in this game, but I continue to play because I love Pokemon, and I've spent way too much money on this game. If CPU ranked were an option to collect the rewards, I'd gladly take that over the real-time players because CPU team play has improved. Is it even worth it to try and keep playing? I know there is the alternative of a standard CPU, but classic matches do not offer these rewards or quick battles. Considering players when making changes, pushing updates, and nerfing things would be nice.

Comments

• KaustikHippy
    KaustikHippy Member Posts: 6
    First Comment Photogenic 5 Agrees Name Dropper

Well that’s a pretty low ratio, what’s your emblem/item/character/moves, they are all important as well as at least one decent teammate.

I’m at just over 1300 battles and my win/loss is steadily going down from 59.0 last week. Mostly from ultra/master battles. I usually carry my team if it’s vet/ultra

• FurrPride529
    FurrPride529 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    First Answer 25 Agrees 5 Likes 5 LOLs

Emblems don't mean much, they only offer a minimal boost at best.

• punte2010
    punte2010 Member Posts: 18
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 10 Comments

removing losing points when you lose as a solution to make sure that people with not enough skill won't make it to masters is one of the strangest statements ever made on this website

• JoeyLockhart
    JoeyLockhart Member Posts: 13
    Name Dropper First Comment 5 Agrees

Have different combos to help different builds, usually SpAtk boosts with cooldown emblems and speed emblems, I have attack build for increasing attack, attack speed, a little ho restoration, and increasing crit or another attack build for Deci to go crazy with leaves has increased attack speed, attack, crit hit rate - but each time I use combo for close range attacks the teammates flake and I can manage to pull KOs at lower level, once leveled up becomes difficult without support as Deci is targeted each time and no teammates want to be around to get attacked or help 😭

also don’t get the people who want to score during first min - they leave the goal open for opponents to score as they stack their attacks/sp attacks super easily with low level wild Pokémon around. That’s more frequent now… 😮‍💨

• JoeyLockhart

The losing points aren’t for stopping anyone from reaching the master rank, it’s just there as a consolation for the player that it’s okay you lost, “losing don’t take away points, you only get points when you win.”

I’ve been playing master with all the loses and wins I stay stagnant regardless of how hard I play and how my emblems are used. It’s -7 if teammates agree to surrender, -9 if it’s a tragic loss as usual, or +11 if we manage to Win… with constant loses +11 isn’t even enough to cover the point lost due players that don’t play as a team or quit half the way. Perhaps you’re extremely satisfied with the scoring system, and that’s okay. I’m just speaking as a player who plays solo and ends up with some type of extra special loss team - perhaps too many wins in the past could’ve triggered it to balance the scores (just suspect), regardless loses hurt big time now more than ever, especially if the teammates fool around for no reason.

• JoeyLockhart

I Give Up… this game isn’t improving anytime soon. If only matchmaking is getting even worse. I have constantly been getting matched with players at different levels while the other team is fully 50 master rank and playing with friends. I wish unité and players good luck… what’s the point of continuing to play if every battle is going to be a loss. 0 motivation from the loss. 0 interest in continuing as definitely ruined my state of mind and hopes of ever playing with good players. Call me a sore loser if you want but shame to say after having spent over 2.5K I’ll be considering other franchises… 😪

• Tasear
    Tasear Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
    5 Likes 5 LOLs First Anniversary 25 Agrees

I lost 20 matches and won 1 this weekend. I was at 1600, but I gave up. Constantly in matches with things like hoopa plus scope

Cinderace, greninja are no match for mewtoo jungle

How is it okay to have hoopa + scope in a master game.

People stand next to goals and never defend it

• lompcent
    lompcent Member Posts: 5

lvl 25 can make it to master ranking because this game is not hard to master. i am playing for 2 weeks now and even i wonder why some people are so bad at this game and sometimes it feels like they are bots instead of players. Ranks dont seem to matter at all in this game. because you get matched to people with random skill levels just like in standard play.

• FurrPride529
    FurrPride529 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    First Answer 25 Agrees 5 Likes 5 LOLs

You're forgetting that this game is, a pokemon game, so you're gonna get people who only care about ko's and disregard the fact that this game is objective based.

Plus a bunch of brats that have no business playing mobas, but their parents see pokemon and assume it's the same as the main games.