Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Suggestion for New Pokemon Game Creations Nintendo Switch

As most of us know, we are in a new era of gaming where designers/programmers can update an entire game live (with an internet connection). This makes me wonder why Pokemon developers keep coming out with completely new content instead of incorporating what we have loved with every game they've ever made, or have both.

Why not create one mega world that adds in the greatness of every Pokemon game with all the unique content/ features from those games, instead of discarding those contents with every new game they make. For example: having different bikes, riding on different Pokemon, making berries, planting trees, surfing, different kinds of fishing, etc. I'm not saying to make it like Stardew Valley but keep those world interactions for fun. Also, when will we ever get to officially change our Pokemons appearance, changing its colors or highlights, adding clothes, so it looks different from the wild Pokemon caught. It shouldn't take away from catching a shiny Pokemon, because a shiny is still unique.

I feel like the company is losing gamer connection. Let's be honest, who actually cares about new title colors, I personally care more about them remaking what was already cool and fun to play. I think they shouldn't miss the opportunity to keep the nostalgia of the older games and recreate those memories in a new way, in one big game.

Before people start responding, "they already have restored old games, you can play them individually and you can catch all the pokemon in the new games. They won't make any money if they have one big game." I'm not saying they have to stop making new content, they can still release their newest color-named games as expansions and we can pay for those new storylines and any added character/pokemon custom creation (appearance changes) can make a lot of money for them. Maybe they can add special areas/walk-throughs for high level established gamers, that they can pay real money and these areas can update/change too.

Is this too much of a big project?... I know they want to capture children audiences by making the game easy, pretty and grindy, so kids can stay on their Switch for hours on end, but lets consider the adult audience who play the new games within a month or less, get bored and move on. I know none of this matters and its just a game, let the creators do what they want and enjoy ...

P.S: What is with the wheeled legendary Pokemon that runs with its legs :/

Comments

• Acornyo
    Acornyo Member Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 100 LOLs 50 Answers 500 Comments

Bro the second I saw Koraidon I was all like “Why does it look like he swallowed a spiky tire?” I then proceeded to draw a little picture of Lechonk and the other two new guys, and in the background Koraidon was swallowing a tire (obviously). Then they said that it was a motorcycle and I started feeling real smart.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

It's because such a project would take a lot longer than 3 years, so it's not worth it because it would put the rest of the franchise on hold and cost them billions.

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers

To be honest, I like the way Pokémon games are (almost) finished (with the exception of the amount of glitches and DLC stuff). The whole thing of adding weekly or monthly updates to keep their player base just doesn't fit and feels really mobile game-y.

It'd feel annoying, especially in a mainline Pokémon game. I enjoy the format we already have much more (and as I said before, it suits mobile spin-off games a lot more).

• allthesinistea
    allthesinistea Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic Name Dropper

Billions seems like a big estimate but sometimes quality and greatness takes awhile. For all we know it could be in the making. I think if they started it, released it slowly and kept adding updates and expansions, they shouldn't lose that much money. Almost like the way Blizzard does it's games, Warcraft started with a small world and they kept building on it. It's not like Pokemon fans are bougie gamers, most of us have been around since Pokemons pixel era and we supported it, we're not going to turn our backs now if they try something completely new. The fan base has always been supportive with their new releases. This is only a tangent, it's not like I'm protesting here, but if you love this idea and want to build on it, feel free to comment 😊

• allthesinistea

To be honest, the last one I played was Sword and Shield and I really loved the new world they created and the variety of Pokemon I could catch, I love the direction it's going but I am worried they aren't adding enough maybe personal content. Things, I mentioned before form older games where you're interacting with the world other than just Pokemon and storyline. I wish I could remember the whole gameplay, but I do remember that I did not need mega Pokemon, I don't need new enemies every time (I must've missed the lore of what happened to team rocket, every region has different enemies), and the ending battle was quite simple it was disappointing a bit. Older games like Crystal or Diamond/ Pearl had the Elite Four and it was quite difficult, but I do miss that difficulty. I almost wish you could play Pokemon within easy, medium, or difficult modes (since the fan base is older now, but also wants to draw in kids), where bosses switch out their lineup and you have to up your strategy game a bit. I'm on the fence about buying Scarlet/ Violet because of the same formula they always do, but with a different story lines, plus the bad reviews I found on Youtube. I don't think it's a bad game at all, I think Pokemon is in a new era and finding its wings, which is why I wanted to get my ideas out on this forum, maybe fan suggestions can lead to some cool new stuff 🤷‍♂️...

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

Pokémon makes its money from merchandise mainly. The games are only a small piece of the pie. Going years without new content to make merch and cards from doesn't make financial sense. Even if it resulted in their most profitable game ever, it wouldn't make up for the losses everywhere else.

• RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

This is not an insurmountable obstacle or anything, but the level system which we have had since Gen 1 makes this idea nigh impossible to implement. After about 5-10 hrs of gameplay, all your pokemon are fully evolved and know their strongest moves. If there's more content in the game, the entire experience/evolution/move system cannot remain unchanged. There's only 100 levels and all of the exciting developments are packed into the first 40-50.

• allthesinistea

They can continue to roll out new Pokemon for merch/cards, and gamers could pay for the new content of new pokemon/ storyline in my hypothetical or what you called the "most profitable game ever". I'm not trying to debate with you, I can see you have big concerns about my hypothetical, but if you don't see it as a good idea, it's noted. I will however continue to state my suggestions because again it doesn't matter what I post, the game creators will do what they want in the end and this is a forum for ideas. You can continue to tell me how it will cost them billions, but again, your concerns are noted.

• allthesinistea

Interesting, I see what you're saying, I wouldn't want that to change either, but like chess where there is endless strategies, I think if there was different modes (if that is what you're responding to) then there would be more open-ended strategies for Difficult modes. I do recognize it is a children game when it comes down to it and creating almost an MMO type game for the Switch, is what it seems I am almost thinking of, is a lot. Most likely they will keep remaking their older games as single games and keep rolling out new color-named games because it is the "easier" thing to do. Maybe in the newer games they can implement more things I was mentioning, it will remain to be seen.

• Bwismar
    Bwismar Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic

No offense, it should be less roleplay and more core Pokemon gaming.