Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Pokémon that feel like they're from a different generation

There are a few Pokémon out there that feel like they come from a different generation than they actually do. Like, Slugma is a gen 2 Pokémon, but because you could only get it in Kanto in gen 2 and it's very common in Hoenn, it feels more like a gen 3 Pokémon. Are there any others that feel this way to you?

My pick for this would probably be Scovillain. Even though it's from the newest games, to me, it really feels like a gen 3 Pokémon. Thematically, to me, its design has a similar "edge" to it as some gen 3 Pokémon, and it feels like it's designed to be more "cool"-looking and aggressive. In-game, it pairs Grass with a a type it's never been paired with before (like some gen 3 Pokémon did in their time, like Cacturne/Shiftry, Breloom, and Ludicolo), and it's a slow frail mixed attacker, like several other Hoenn Pokémon.

Comments

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

Slugma is a gen 2 Pokémon, but because you could only get it in Kanto in gen 2 and it's very common in Hoenn, it feels more like a gen 3 Pokémon.

I keep making this very mistake all the time. I think I never actually used one until my first Ruby playthrough which sort of cemented it in my mind as a gen 3 Pokémon.

I tend to get very confused about gen 3 and 4 Pokémon in general. I didn't like gen 3 and I wasn't really as invested in the series at the time, given that my peers had no interest and Pokémon in general was in a bit of a lull after Pokémania had long since faded. Unless it is something obvious like a starter, legendary, or iconic for their generation like Lucario, gen 3 and 4 kind of meld together for me.

• Acornyo
    Acornyo Member Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 100 LOLs 50 Answers 500 Comments

Am I the only person who thought Yanma was from Gen 3? For no apperent reason, I feel like it SHOULD BE from Gen 3, but it isnt...

• Dedenne90524
    Dedenne90524 Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 25 Agrees 5 Answers 25 Likes

once i thought that Cacnea was from Gen 5💀

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers

Not really about the Pokémon, but I used to think that ORAS was gen 4 (or 5 I don't remember well) since it had separate Pokémon centers and PokéMarts while XY put them in the same place. I'd never played a 2D Pokémon game. Also, there were a lot of Unova clips back then, so it made sense.

I have no idea how. I also don't know how BW/BW2 fit into that. And I don't remember it well.

...I also said "Heon" and spelled it like that, too, until I saw an Advanced series episode.

• Squeaky16
    Squeaky16 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic

Skarmory is not a Gen III Pokémon. For some reason, I knew Slugma was from prior generations, but not that Skarmory was. Also, Meltan and Melmetal are Gen VII Pokémon, despite me associating new generations of Pokémon with new consoles, and Let's Go being on the Switch.

• exad629534
    exad629534 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Skarmory doesn't belong to Generation III of Pokémon. Interestingly, I was aware that Slugma hails from earlier generations, but I was less certain about Skarmory. Additionally, it's worth noting that Meltan and Melmetal fall under Generation VII, even though I tend to associate new generations of Pokémon with new gaming consoles, particularly with Let's Go on the Switch.

• Alex_Vaporeon
    Alex_Vaporeon Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 25 Agrees 100 Comments Name Dropper

I always thought Yungoos was from an earlier generation than VII... I never associated it with a certain one, but my brain just can't seem to grasp that it's a Gen 6 Pokemon. Idk why

• Doduo2009
    Doduo2009 Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic First Answer

Alomomola for sure. I always feel like its some filler water mon you'd get annoyed with seeing in the oceans in Hoenn.

• Acornyo
    Acornyo Member Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 100 LOLs 50 Answers 500 Comments

@Alex_Vaporeon I can tell. Yungoos is from Gen 7, not 6 lol

• Alex_Vaporeon
    Alex_Vaporeon Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 25 Agrees 100 Comments Name Dropper

@Acornyo OH MY GOSH I'm so sorry I got them mixed up XD My brain was just like, "Alola is Gen 6." I think my mind is having a bad day :)