Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Why do people hack pokemon? (Scarlet/Violet)

ok honestly, if you play violet, the first thing you're going to do is the surprise trades. and if you are that kind of person who does surprise trades A LOT. you are going to run into hacked shinies like Quaxly evolutions, meowscarada, skelidirge, and more. Why do people hack pokemon if it could mean they could have their accounts blocked- if they were caught?

Best Answers

• Dedenne90524
    Dedenne90524 Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 25 Agrees 5 Answers 25 Likes
    #2 Answer ✓

Money. Suprise trades are advertisements for the hacker’s website, which you can buy illegal pokémon.

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers
    #3 Answer ✓

Often ads for the websites with viruses.

Sometimes though people just want a shiny that was only available once without needing to find someone who transferred it from the 3DS. Or to make competitive easier.

Answers

• MonstaDash
    MonstaDash Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Photogenic 5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes

Because they wanna advertise their duped Pokémon to make money without paying for any ads, which would just be annoying if it wasn't for the fact that some of them also carry duped items. Had to catch a lechonk and release to get rid of a duped master ball.

• TheDark_Sylveon
    TheDark_Sylveon Member Posts: 19
    Name Dropper 5 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic

@MonstaDash what do the duped items do to pokemon?

• MonstaDash
    MonstaDash Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Photogenic 5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes

@TheDark_Sylveon I am not 100% sure but I hope they act normally, but I am not sure if the servers can tell if you used a duped item on a Pokémon because if they do they just sit in your inventory doing nothing.

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers

@TheDark_Sylveon

I think they were talking about how you can't sell Master Balls, so if you get one as an item on a hacked Pokémon, it takes some effort to get rid of.

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    100 LOLs 100 Likes 100 Agrees 500 Comments

I hate how prevalent hacking is with surprise trades. I don't hear about any efforts to ban the people doing it and there is no software to make it more difficult. It sours the experience of trading.

• TheDark_Sylveon
    TheDark_Sylveon Member Posts: 19
    Name Dropper 5 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic

@Eremas yes, normally I keep the hacked shinys in the back of my boxes where no one will ever find them. really, trades like that just ruin the experience. but if you get rare hacked shinies, that's pretty lucky. I was able to acquire a genuine shiny Zamazenta that has been shiny locked in sword since november, and I had been just recently introduced to pokemon two years after that. :( (if you don't know it, pokemon did a thing where if you went to a gamestop you could get a special code, and when you put it in you either acquire a shiny Zamazenta or Zacian, depending on which game you play. Zamazenta was gifted to sword players. and Zacian was gifted to Shield players) yeah, so my Zamazenta buddy just rocks! I was so happy when I received that pokemon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but then again it kinda ruins the whole experiencem because I didn't have to do much work to get the pokemon to then acquire Zamazenta.

• RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

Is it actually possible to detect whether the ball a pokemon was caught in was real or not?