Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

What is the best main series Pokemon game of all time?

Options

Answers

• clasingla
    clasingla Member Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 LOLs 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

honestly I dislike open world games in general not a big fan of scarlet and violet didn’t like breath of the wild I’m fine with sandbox 3d but I dispices open world its just not fun in my opinion i liked Mario oddssey and Kirby and the forgotten land i have nothing against 3d I just don’t like open world because open world don’t feel open they feel empty boring plain and generic

• WhiscashIsCool
    WhiscashIsCool Member Posts: 37
    First Answer First Comment
    Options

I have played a few other Pokémon Games, and Scarlet is my favorite. Great Story, fun characters, amazing DLC, cool Pokémon, wide variety of legendaries, pretty good starters.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 LOLs 5 Likes 5 Agrees
    Options

@TemineTrainer At this point the news that a game that I like will be receiving a remake fills me with trepidation and dread, where once I would have been thrilled that I get to play an enhanced version of a game I already loved.

That doesn't just apply to the Pokémon series, either.

Of course, people always respond that it doesn't take anything away from the originals, and this is usually true provided that they don't delist or update the original version following the remake's release. (Obviously harder to do when you own a physical copy rather than a glorified rental of a file on a server. Buy physical.)

But for people who never played the original, they will be deceived into thinking the remake represents the original experience, which is not always the case. A lot of what makes an older game good, which can include a higher difficulty and older design philosophy, can be removed in the name of "modernisation" and "accessibility" if done poorly.

Then you get the obnoxious posts on social media asking why people thought the original was a great game after playing the remake. Frustrating for everyone concerned.

In the case of a potential BW remake, not only is there the concern of an ILCA style game, with all the visual and quality concerns that entails, but the gameplay changes to the game may cripple the experience.

For a start they will probably add Fairy type to the game. Debatable how great an effect that will actually have, assuming they keep the original, region-exclusive Pokédex of the time, but it is still a change that will affect the balance.

Then there is the question of whether they add the option of catching additional Pokémon outside the Unova dex, as they did with the underground in BDSP. Not only does that change the Unova dex exclusive experience, but it again changes the balance by giving you access to Pokémon you wouldn't otherwise have.

Then there is of course the elephants in the room. The compulsory exp. share and shift battle style.

Gamefreak seem convinced that children do not have the attention span or intelligence to train a team for the duration of a Pokémon game. They have a smartphone and a TikTok.

So they will force these features into a BW remake. And like BDSP I doubt they will do anything in the balancing or levels in the game to account for it. So the game will become a brain-dead exercise in tedium.

I also think that B2W2's content will be ignored. Maybe they will add the extra towns as bonus areas or something, but that sounds like extra work that isn't needed when they have done their jobs: they printed the name Pokémon on the box. $60x2, please.

I would love to be proven wrong on all of this. I would love for a BW remake to be brilliant, and expose my favourite game in the series to a whole new generation of fans. All while providing me and other BW fans with an enhanced experience, ironing out the genuine problems and kinks in the game. And making sensible improvements and introducing modern conveniences without detracting from the challenge or experience of the original.

But I do not think that will happen. I fear we will get another BDSP; chibi art style, exp. share and all. It will sell poorly because of the poor experience everyone had with BDSP.

BW fans will hate it, new players will ask why anyone liked the originals and TPC, GF et. al will conclude that the poor sales of the originals weren't a fluke. The games are just bad, they will become the black sheep of the franchise and will be ignored forever more.

And worst of all, they will conclude that deviating from the Pokémon formula in any way leads to ruin, so they must strictly adhere to the design conventions of a 90s Game Boy RPG, warts and all. And all the problems with the Pokémon franchise I and others gripe about will persist indefinitely.

Like I say. I really hope I am wrong. But now you can see why I feel that maybe ignoring the games altogether is better than doing them wrong.

• Jokemon811
    Jokemon811 Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Likes 5 Agrees 5 LOLs
    Options

@TheJeffers, I would just like to rebut what you said in your first post. Black and white? What? No. Not that. I was talking about pineapple on pizza. In your conclusion while listing your beliefs you said that pineapple does not belong on pizza. Pineapple and pizza are a perfect combination, the sweetness of the pineapple balances the spices and salt on it the pizza. It lifts the flavour and is a perfect touch to a near perfect food. In conclusion Alola is the best region, Leafeon is the best pokemon, and pineapple DOES belong on pizza. Thank you.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 890 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 LOLs 5 Likes 5 Agrees
    Options

I will not allow Canadians to slander Hawaiian cuisine by attributing the addition of a fruit to a savory dish to them.

The only thing worse is Swedish banana pizza.

The Japanese have been engaging in some pretty messed up culinary crimes when it comes to pizza, too.

The Italians knew what they were doing with pizza. Why mess with perfection? Tomatoes technically being a fruit doesn't give you licence to throw on their sweeter cousins.

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment 5 Agrees First Answer
    Options

@TheJeffers I hate pineapple on pizza.

@UnovanZorua I have not played that many pokemon and I still think Sv was a major dissapointment. In my personal, biased opinion, I would say SWSH, because that is the game I started on and I enjoyed it a lot.

• WhiscashIsCool
    WhiscashIsCool Member Posts: 37
    First Answer First Comment
    Options

In Italy, there is a Pizza called "American Pizza" or something along the lines of that. It’s literally pizza with French fries on it.

• Serperior2428
    Serperior2428 Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic
    Options

I love black and white. The story was great and I love Serperior.

• clasingla
    clasingla Member Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 LOLs 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

I feel like the only 2 good remake on the switch was Kirby return to dreamland deluxe and pokemon mystery dungeon rescue team dx

• Jokemon811
    Jokemon811 Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Likes 5 Agrees 5 LOLs
    Options

The other day I stumbled upon a delicious looking abomination called sweetza. It is pizza dough with nutella (chocolate spread), banana, peanut butter, marshmallow, and it had a dollop of ice-cream on top. What have people become? It looked delicious and made me want to puke at the same time. It just looked like diabetes waiting to happen. I didn't know if I wanted to eat it, or punch the maker.