Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Is the pairing Standard and Expanded players a known bug yet? Or is it just the cards themselves?

So I only play Standard, ever. I have no interest in Expanded. But I got paired with a trainer using the AegislashEX card with Mighty Shield Ability, which, appears to not be standard legal. I was so confused what was happening, and really I shouldn't have had to prepare for that match because I was in Standard. After the match, it was still selected on standard and my deck hadn't changed. It's kind of unfair to have less cards to choose from than your opponent.... I tried to craft that EX card to see if it was bugged and it's very clearly only available in the Expanded Format in the filters.

So either: Casual Standard is glitched and pairing us with Expanded players.

Or: Aegislash EX is glitched and being allowed into Standard decks.

I kind of believe it's option 1, but I don't know and couldn't find a post about this...

Comments

• Edurandomnumber
    Edurandomnumber Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 25 Likes 25 Agrees 5 Answers

i don't think is option 1, expanded is currently in beta and only supports cards from the sun and moon and sword and shield era. You shouldn't be able to play Aegislash EX in expanded yet.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

Are you sure you're playing Live? That card isn't playable in the game at all yet.

• Jami3
    Jami3 Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments

@Edurandomnumber any other ideas then??? This is the exact card I was against and it literally made me upset because there was nothing I could do. I would craft it just to prove that it can be done, if I wasn't so short on credits for my existing decks I'm working on.

@TechHog 10000000000% sure. The only reason I started playing cards online again was because I was given an offer to migrate my account. I got a whole bunch of stuff for switching. like 2300 Crystals, some coins, a bunch of the flipper coins, and if you still don't believe me, there's a screenshot for you. I was very annoyed I was against an Aegislash EX and the opponent kept taunting me with smile, thumbs, things like that many times in a row.

• Jami3
    10 Comments

Is anyone looking into this yet?

• Fox13096
    Fox13096 Member Posts: 35
    5 Agrees Name Dropper First Answer 10 Comments

You got a whole bunch of crystals for switching?! Now I wish I had stuck with Online when I tried it a few years ago.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

What happened here is clear. It's not a mixing of Standard and Expanded, since there's no ranked Expanded ladder. What's going on here is that someone accidentally enabled XY cards for play but didn't set them as Expanded-only.

• Fox13096
    Fox13096 Member Posts: 35
    5 Agrees Name Dropper First Answer 10 Comments

On a slightly different note, I can't wait until I can turn in all of my old XY promo codes. I quite a few of them because that was the era when I really got into card collecting. I hope some of them become legal with the return of Ex pokemon.

• Jami3
    10 Comments

I was in Standard casual though at the time, not ranked actually. Does that change anything for what you're saying? I mean, if they had a way to prove this without losing 10 packs worth of credits, I would try just to prove it.

• Edurandomnumber
    Edurandomnumber Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 25 Likes 25 Agrees 5 Answers

@Fox13096 keep in mind that EX (the ones from the XY era) and ex (the new ones we are getting in april) are different mechanics (a card that works with EX pokemon does not work with ex pokemon).

also, @Jami3 i got curious and tried to add aegislash EX to a standard deck, it does not allow me to play either standard or expanded with it.

• noriLOXic
    noriLOXic Member Posts: 27
    5 Likes 5 Agrees 10 Comments Photogenic

Now I wonder why they would do that: keep the name but just lowercase it. If 'ex' is not the same mechanic as 'EX' they should have just come up with a different suffix or prefix entirely. Why risk the confusion? That was not a good decision.