Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Pokémon Starters Kanto

YagoFuecoco
YagoFuecoco Member Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Likes 25 Agrees

Pokémon Starters Kanto 9 votes

Bulbasaur
33%
YagoFuecocoTacolaserJburke61 3 votes
Charmander
11%
MonstaDash 1 vote
Squirtle
11%
TheJeffers 1 vote
Pikachu
0%
Eevee
44%
Rileytheriolu93clasinglaPokemiiACLonestar85 4 votes

Comments

• YagoFuecoco
    YagoFuecoco Member Posts: 396 ✭✭✭
    100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Likes 25 Agrees
    Bulbasaur

I was undecided between Bulbasaur and Eevee, but I went with Bulbasaur, but I also love Eevee

• PokemiiAC
    PokemiiAC Member Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 100 LOLs 100 Agrees 5 Answers
    Eevee

eevee would have been winning by now

• MonstaDash
    MonstaDash Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Agrees 5 Answers
    Charmander

both blastoise and charizard are cool but i find charizard cooler

• MonstaDash
  • clasingla
    clasingla Member Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments 500 Agrees 250 Likes 50 Answers
    Eevee

eevee i mean the customization for it in let’s go

• Lonestar85
    Lonestar85 Member Posts: 47
    10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
    Eevee

If Evolutions are considered, Eevee should win in a landslide given you can evolve it 8 different ways. Even the LGE Eevee that you can't evolve is OP since it has not only a higher Base Stat than a typical Eevee but it learns stupidly broken unique moves with a STAB Headbutt after defeating Brock while still being useful in the late-game to counter Agatha's Ghosts/Poison types with Dark/Psychic attacks.

Coincidentally, I contemplated starting a discussion involving the Gen 1 starters because specifically in Gen 1(not the case in the Gen 3 FRLG remakes), the Kanto starters are "replaceable". What I mean is that for a final team, you can swap your starter out for someone else. For Charmander, Fire Types in Gen 1 are just bad. Their movepools are poor and what they're strong against in Bug + Grass + Ice can be handled by other Pokémon Types(like Flying). Charizard may be a Flying Type, but he doesn't learn Flying Type moves(only Fly in Yellow version where he's not a "starter"). Only redeeming quality for Charizard is that his movepool is arguably the best among Fire Types(learning Earthquake being a big plus) and that he's a reliable counter to Lorelei's Jynx.

Bulbasaur is in a similar boat in that what it's strong against, other Pokémon Types do an equal or better job(Electric against Water, Water against Rock + Ground without any Resistance issues against Poison types) while simultaneously having Poison as a secondary Typing in a Generation where Psychic Types dominate. The lack of Water/Ground or Water/Rock(despite it being on the regional Fossils) really diminishes his value. I often find myself using Oddish, Bellsprout or heck Paras(he's underrated btw) due to them learning Status moves earlier while also being able to use Cut.

Finally, with respect to Squirtle, his biggest issue is that Kanto has tons of Water Type options with the game literally giving you one as a gift in Lapras. Yet the Gen 1 Elephant in the room is Gyarados where in RBY, he just dominates with a 125 Attack AND 100 Special. There's also Tentacruel(120 Special in Gen 1), Vaporeon and Starmie as potential Water Type options that makes choosing and keeping Squirtle a really difficult decision.

That's why after 25 years of playing Generation 1, I've concluded that when it comes to the original Kanto trio, Charmander is the best one but not out of necessity. He wins simply because he's the last starter standing while forcing your rival to take Squirtle(allowing you to avoid Gyarados), a Pokémon you can easily counter with a Viridian Forest Pikachu or ideally Jolteon(Gen 1 Crit for the win).

If I was basing this decision on FRLG, I'd still hold the same viewpoint on Bulbasaur but it'd be a two starter race between Squirtle and Charmander where I'd probably lean Squirtle this time around.

• Tacolaser
    Tacolaser Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees 25 LOLs 25 Likes
    Bulbasaur

I always found it weird the Scorbunny is considered the best Galar starter because it is strong against the first gym, but Charizard is the best Kanto starter even though it is weak to the first two gyms.

• MonstaDash
    edited October 15 #10
    Charmander

I voted considering eevee's evolutions, I find that Charizard is cooler than all of the eeveelutions combined.

• clasingla
    clasingla Member Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments 500 Agrees 250 Likes 50 Answers
    Eevee

I voted purely on starter eevee