Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Pokémon TCG Live 1.3.1 Update Issues - *UPDATED 12/22/22*

Comments

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

Come on... @TPCi_CursedSoup I understand the idea of not wanting to give an update until something changes, but we can't go a week with the game in this state and nothing said at all. Please, update the store pages to say that it's a beta, put BETA in the title of the game, and disable migrations. If you're clinging onto the "it's a beta" excuse, then there needs to be complete transparency about that fact. It's clear that the messaging wasn't strong enough as many people downloaded it thinking it was a stable release, hence the backlash. If this problem really is this hard to fix, properly label the game as being in Early Access, apologize for the poor messaging, offer people who migrated from PTCGO temporary unlocked accounts so they can go back, and disable migrations until the game has 6 continuous months without major issues. This can't go on.

• Flagrama
    Flagrama Member Posts: 143 ✭✭
    100 Comments 5 Agrees 5 Answers 5 Likes

@TechHog

They announced this beta over a year ago and they offered us migration from February. We - very incorrectly - assumed that entering beta, the final stage of development, and allowing migration meant that theproduct was nearly finished.

Emphasis mine. Beta is not the final stage of development. Release candidates come after beta. In that state the software is considered finished but bugs can still be reported to fix for a new release candidate. Then the software "goes gold" with the first version finalized. Then it gets released as the final version and beta software is prevented from using the service forcing an update.

Even then, there is no real "final stage of development" for a service. Development continues until the service is shut down. The final stage of development is no development at all.

• Fox13096
    Fox13096 Member Posts: 35
    5 Agrees Name Dropper First Answer 10 Comments

@jon11w I disagree. To use the analogy again, the "chef" invited us to test and verify their "flavors" and to help them improve the "dish" which is still in the process of being cooked. We test each individual element until it is perfect so that the final "dish" will be perfect for the many, MANY people who will be eating it. And yes, they told us the food was "raw" by telling us it was still in beta. We all still signed on anyway.

I agree that, yes, it is taking a lot of time, but I also think that Pokemon Live probably hasn't been a major priority for the company as a whole. Over that time, Pokemon has been working on Scarlet and Violet, and I would guess they were struggling to get it done in time because of how many problems it had. I wouldn't be surprised if more time and resources were being spent on that.

Plus, most people act like the glitches have made the game unplayable when they haven't. It might have problems, but it is still an enjoyable, mostly functional game.

• jon11w
    jon11w Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees First Anniversary 100 Comments 5 LOLs

@Fox13096 they allowed us to migrate our accounts. Accounts which we have spent time and money on. They provide no way to reverse that migration. Ergo, upon launch of the beta, they expected to release the full game shortly after.

They are not responding to any change suggestions on the forum, let alone bug reports. This is not a community working with the development team to improve a game (see Old School RuneScape for an incredible example of this) - this is a dev team who are way over their heads and do not have a full grasp on the state of the game.

• Mister-Burkes
    Mister-Burkes Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
    5 Likes Name Dropper 5 Agrees First Anniversary

Will there be any compensation for all the ranking points lost due to the game freeze bugs?

• Fox13096
    Fox13096 Member Posts: 35
    5 Agrees Name Dropper First Answer 10 Comments

@jon11w Dude, the game specifically said that. I'm pretty sure it said that when you set up your account that you can't continue playing TCGOnline if you transfer your data. For sure the FAQ says it. Plus, the FAQ specifically said that not everything would be transferred. They are taking down the old game, which is why you can't continue playing if you migrate your account.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

@Fox13096 The FAQ isn't linked on any of the store or download pages.

• jon11w
    jon11w Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees First Anniversary 100 Comments 5 LOLs

@Fox13096 @Flagrama genuine questions; are you happy with the state of the game? Do you think that it's ready for public consumption? Are you happy with the progress made by the development in 2022? Are you happy with the communication from the development team?

Im bewildered by the fact that you are both in here defending Live as if you're content with what you've been given. I mean ,all power to you if you're having fun with the game as it is, but some of us are expecting much, much more.

• TengoSoundwave
    TengoSoundwave Member Posts: 29
    5 Likes 5 Agrees 10 Comments Photogenic

I migrated to the PTCG Live beta just two weeks prior to the energy attachment and Mew VMAX bugs. Those two weeks of play were incredibly enjoyable. Yes, the state of the game right now is not good and communication from the team on such issues could be better - but I'm still of the mindset that we are going to have a satisfactory product once fully released.

• Theoraclecity
    Theoraclecity Member Posts: 5
    First Comment

As a software engineer, I just don't understand why such an obvious problem was not discovered before release?

Fixes are slow to come up and nothing is done officially.

Does the development team never test before release?

Isn't Live about a year old?