Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Any reason why there are cards that can't be used?

I see some cards that can't be played. Any reason?

Some say only expanded. Some both..

Kinda weird. Some look good though.

Any reason why some cards don't work. Possibly for both..

How do you play those cards at all if it's both..

Wonder if there going to bring the old sets back from the other game. Guess we got plenty to pick from.

I just started so, i gotta spend gems on decks I missed. Still plenty to pick from.

Comments

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments 500 Agrees 250 Likes 50 Answers

Cards that can't be played in Standard have rotated.

Cards that can't be played in Expanded are either banned or not implemented into the game yet. No ETA on them being implemented.

Pre-BW cards from Celebrations are permanently unplayable.

• Water-Kriz24
    Water-Kriz24 Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic

Because of greed. They want you to keep buying cards.

• ThetaX55
    ThetaX55 Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments Name Dropper

I see cards already just as bad or worse.

Idk I just started a few weeks ago.

Used to play the game boy color game. That was good stuff. Some evolutions and legends had side effects like loosing cards or damage to self because they where to powerful.

This is kinda different now.

Still a good time. Whatever.

• ThetaX55
    10 Comments Name Dropper

Bought them before these digital games. Before. Why so random. Always hard to get full set. I'd just make a few good decks in real life instead then trying getting the collection for no reason. Such pretty pictures.

• nightblitz42
    nightblitz42 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    25 Likes 5 Answers 10 Comments First Anniversary

The Pokemom Co. periodically bans cards for being too old. This policy is known as "Rotation."

In the Standard Format, all cards older than about 3 years or so are banned (which is partway through the Sword/Shield era). The Expanded Format bans cards from before the Black/White era. Those are the only two ways to play PTCGL, so if a card is banned in both formats then you're out of luck.

There are many reasons for Rotation existing. Because of Rotation, players don't get bored of fighting against the same powerful cards over and over for many years. Another reason is to prevent the game from becoming too complicated. Pokemon has been around for two decades, if every card ever printed were legal then there would be way too many of them for anybody to keep track of.

• ThetaX55
    10 Comments Name Dropper

I see cards already just as bad or worse.

Idk I just started a few weeks ago.

Used to play the game boy color game.

That was good stuff. Some evolutions and legends had side effects like loosing cards or damage to self because they where to powerful.

This is kinda different now.

Still a good time. Whatever.

• ThetaX55
    10 Comments Name Dropper

Now legends and evaluations is what you want.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments 500 Agrees 250 Likes 50 Answers
  • Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭
    250 Agrees 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Answers

The cards simply rotated out of Standard format, TPCi does this every year, except 2022, to keep the game fresh, I'm sure you would be annoyed if you had to battle Mew VMAX for another 3 years.

• Scorbunny1scute
    Scorbunny1scute Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees

I agree with @Water-Kriz24. The company want you to keep on buying cards so you can compete in tournaments.