Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Hottest Pokemon take?

Comments

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

@Arbiter1337 That may be less of a hot take than you think :)

• TBisk
    TBisk Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic Name Dropper

Platinum is overrated. It's the same as DP except for some QoL improvements and a somewhat better end-game. The majority of people despise USUM for doing the exact same thing but praise Platinum.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

I agree that Platinum is overrated but I do not think it is bad. In fact I think it is one of the best games in the franchise. The QoL and story improvements are great, but many of the DP issues remain and drag it down in my eyes. And the slow gameplay really starts to drag in the late game and subsequent playthroughs. A game that really benefits from a speed hack.

I disagree with you on the USUM point though. Platinum improved (NB: not "fixed") DP's bad story, but USUM made SM's story worse. I liked Rainbow Rocket, but it basically skipped the end of Lusamine's story from the original game to accommodate it. There aren't any major QoL improvements. All the gen 7 games are riddled with unskippable tutorials and cutscenes.

That said, I did like gen 7's story and characters. It was the presentation that ruined it for me. I would love to see a remake that removed all of the bloat and unskippable stuff, integrated RR better into the story and generally addressed gen 7's issues. USUM was not the game that did that.

Unfortunately I think a gen 7 remake would be at least a decade out and I do not think modern Gamefreak would fix these issues. We'd either get a BDSP situation or they would take the same framework and try to cram even more in.

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    100 LOLs 100 Likes 100 Agrees 500 Comments

Scarlet/violet should have a ranked mode with open team sheet.

• TBisk
    TBisk Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic Name Dropper

I've realized that I didn't phrase this very well and my point is very shallow.

Platinum has the same problems as DP though the positives outway the negatives in some cases. Platinum and USUM are the same in concept (an "enhanced" version of a previous game) but one is ridiculed and the other is seen as a godly creation with zero flaws. Most ignore the issues with Platinum but always bring up the problems with USUM. My original point: Platinum is a great game, but has flaws that are rarely brought up.

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

@TheJeffers USUM did actually introduce some QoL improvements, but honestly those improvements didn't actually take care of any of the core problems with the game.

I do 100% agree on the story thing though. Honestly when it comes to SM/USUM and BW/B2W2, I'm not sure which one to pick, as the "enhanced" versions in both cases have better gameplay but an overall worse storyline.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

@D-ManBlue I don't think that BW2 had a bad story. The stuff with Colress and his quest to bring out the power of Pokémon at any cost was interesting and contrasted well with N's story in the first game. I liked seeing how Unova and the characters progressed after the events of the first game.

The problem I think was Hugh and his sister's Purloin. I never cared and it made his character seem stubborn and obnoxious. The story would regularly have to be put on hold for MUH PURLOIN and it killed the pacing.

• FairyTypeRobot
    FairyTypeRobot Member Posts: 10
    First Comment Photogenic 5 Agrees

I don't like incineroar, never did, and I was team litten from the start! Ended up picking popplio.

• FairyTypeRobot
    FairyTypeRobot Member Posts: 10
    First Comment Photogenic 5 Agrees

i didn't mean to post that twice oops