Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

New to Pokémon. How do I get started with Pokemon Scarlet and Violet?

Hi. How are you, people? I am New2Games. I am new to the Pocket Monster Franchise. How do I get started with the Pocket Monster Franchise, mainly with the Pokemon Scarlet and Violet video games? What is the best video game version, Scarlet or Violet? What is the best path for a beginner to start with? How do I catch Pokemon the "right" way? Etc, Etc, Etc... Thanks for the help!

Comments

• gabolotl
    gabolotl Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment

Personally I would start out with Scarlet, as it has more interesting version exclusive pokemon in my opinion. But I'd also recommend picking it based off of which box legend you like more (Koraidon or Miraidon) as you're gonna be with them for almost the entire game.

When you start out, any of the three starters are super helpful, you'll definitely want to keep them in your party. I picked Quaxly and he was very good through out the entire game if you want a suggestion. You'll want to catch a team of pokemon, preferably all different types. Pokemon is basically an advanced game of rock paper scissors, so the more pokemon types you have then the better it'll work out for you. If you'd like to know for the future, Sprigatito becomes grass/dark, Fuecoco becomes fire/ghost, and Quaxly becomes water/fighting.

For the route you should probably go to the bug gym, then the rock titan, then the grass gym, then the fire team star base based on the levels they are. But what's fun about Scarlet/Violet is that the game isn't set on a linear path. You can go wherever you want!! If you go around and explore, it might be a bit more interesting. There are also guides online about what order of badges is best I believe.

I hope this helps in any way, good luck and I hope you have fun!! I've been playing since Pokemon Black and White and Pokemon is definitely a game series worth playing.

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

I would say just go with the starter you like- that's the intention behind it after all.

• Orangebannana12
    Orangebannana12 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

what if you don't have starters?

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    500 Comments 250 Agrees 25 Answers 100 Likes

Welcome, I would simply do whatever you want, there is no right way to play the games, just choose where you want to go and what starter you want, I personally did a lap around Paldea before anything else and chose Sprigatito as soon as it was revealed, but that’s just my opinion.

• NavyWooperz
    NavyWooperz Member Posts: 22
    First Answer 5 Agrees 5 Likes 10 Comments

So do some research online of the pokemon that each region has (if you don't mind minor spoilers for some of the later mons.) Otherwise, choose the box art pokemon (there's a different "mascot" for each game) that you like best. I like Scarlet's box art pokemon more as it has more expressions than the other one. As for the starters, that's for your preference.

I recommend you have a diverse team, meaning no two Pokémon have the same type. This will help with type coverage (research type match ups, as those are very important.)

As for catching, you should lower the pokemon's hp down, which will make it easier to catch. You can inflict status conditions (moves that inflict paralysis, poison, burns, etc.) Sleep and freeze are the most effective of these when you are catching pokemon.

As you progress, you will be able to buy better pokeballs. You'll be able to get your hands on a quickball eventually, which are VERY good. If you throw them at the beginning of a battle, they will have a high catch rate.

Overall, there isn't a right way to play pokemon. Explore what works best for you and enjoy!

• cpm1
    cpm1 Member Posts: 349 ✭✭✭
    25 Answers Second Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Agrees

i started with violet then scarlet as for the starter pick which one you like best.

• GeneralScout
    GeneralScout Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Name Dropper 5 Agrees 5 Likes 10 Comments

When you play through pokemon, make sure to check the residents of the area. Some of them give side quests or helpful items that will give you and your pokemon a boost during your play. For your first pokemon, you can choose any starter you like, and your rival Nemona will choose the starter weak against your's, so you have that advantage. To catch a pokemon, you should lower it's health to the point where it is at low health, then you use a pokeball. Try not to kill the wild pokemon, the move False Swipe guarantees the wild pokemon to live at one health. There are a numerous amount of different pokeballs, and each of them have their own special abilities for catching. The best video game version is the one you want in my opinion. Would you rather have prehistoric animal-like pokemon, or robotic future pokemon? Always remember type advantages against opponent pokemon, as type advantages are useful. Each pokemon will either have one or two typings, allowing different strengths and weaknesses in typing advantages. When your pokemon are in a pinch, try to locate this red green blue like structure, it has the Pokemon Center which will heal your pokemon, and the Pokemon Box that will allow you to edit your team if you have more than 6 pokemon.

You also should keep in mind that attacking is not always the best option. Moves like Swords Dance or Nasty Plot boost your offensive stats, allowing attacks to do more damage. Moves like Iron Defense will buff up your defense stat, meaning you take less damage from opponents. There are many more moves like these but I can't say them all.

Hope this helps you out, and good luck on your pokemon journey to becoming a champion!

• D-ManBlue

Just catch Pokemon you like and try to avoid type overlaps- if you're not familiar with the franchise then the type chart can get a bit tricky to fully understand.

• puplover1118
    puplover1118 Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees First Anniversary 25 Likes

@Orangebannana12 You will always be given a choice between a fire, water, and grass type starter Pokémon. You don’t need to keep them on your team, but many people do, and starter Pokémon are usually the highest level on the team.

• D-ManBlue

@GeneralScout Idk, a lot of us went pretty far with only attacking moves when we were novice players.