Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Most Embarrassing Pokemon Mistakes

Comments

• Acornyo
    Acornyo Member Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 100 LOLs 50 Answers 500 Comments

Turns out the Special Attack stat isn't the power of the Pokemon's signature move. I used to always spam Draco Meteor 'cause I always thought "I'll never use Apple Acid anyways. I'm such a master." Until my friend told me a couple months ago how it worked.

• Michael629303
    Michael629303 Member Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭
    250 Agrees First Anniversary 25 LOLs 100 Likes

When I first got Pokémon Bank, I transferred all my Pokémon that were in my boxes in Pokémon Y to Pokémon Ultra Sun. At the time I didn't realize that I couldn't transfer them back and that the catch rate depends on the amount of Pokémon you had in your boxes. I had defeated the champion in Y but I had just made completing the Pokedex impossible.

• Michael629303

My first one was used on an Abra, and I could have used on one of the legendary that I hadn't caught.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

To be fair the games do a very poor job of explaining the mechanic. Do they even explain it at all?

It is frustrating that the games labour the same simple game mechanics in their opening tutorials yet constantly fail to explain their deeper mechanics at any point in the adventure.

"Okay, you know how to throw Pokeballs and that water types beat fire types. We have status effects on a chalkboard in the Pokémon school we stick in every game. No further elaboration needed."

Even more frustrating that mechanics like IVs and EVs are not only never explained by outright obscured to most players.

These systems, and the way they are taught to the player, are well overdue for a complete rework.

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

@TheJeffers I personally believe that the IV system has no reason to exist. It's a system that relies on luck and doesn't really add to the experience in any way. EVs I'm a little less sure on, as there is some strategy involved in building a Pokemon's stats up that way.

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

@TheJeffers As a matter of fact, one of the biggest gripes I have with BDSP was that they use competitive builds, including EVs and IVs, when players may not know of such things and, until then, had no apparent reason to.

• Elberta
    Elberta Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    25 Agrees First Answer Name Dropper 10 Comments

They never explained the mechanics, I didn't even realized that it existed until I started watching Poketubers and watch as they chose moves because the Pokemon had more Special Attack or more Attack stats. Or when they use Attack moves on a Pokemon with a fewer Defense stats than their Special Defense stats. I still don't really know the difference, all I realize is that one type does more damage to the other depending on the Pokemon.

• Michael629303

My first one was used on an Abra, and I could have used on one of the legendary that I hadn't caught.

• Arbiter1337
    Arbiter1337 Member Posts: 40
    Name Dropper 5 LOLs 10 Comments Photogenic

Armarouge

• RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

Archaludon