Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

What are your unpopular opinions

Comments

• Elberta
    Elberta Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    25 Agrees First Answer Name Dropper 10 Comments

@Beyku Yes, I absolutely agree that Mega Evolutions isn't coming back due to the fact that ever since Gen 6, game freak has been introducing a new battle mechanics every single new generations. I think the fact that Mega Evolutions were brought into the Gen 7 game might be due to the fact that there are Pokemon from generations later than Gen 3 that also got Megas (Like Garchomp and Lucario), which wasn't obtainable in ORAS through normal game play (at least I don't think so), and they wanted people to be able to use Megas added in XY and ORAS all obtainable in one game. But as the trend goes, no other game mechanics have ever lasted more than one generations, which means that game freak isn't going to be bringing Mega Evolutions back anytime soon.

• Elberta

@Beyku Yes, I absolutely agree that Mega Evolutions isn't coming back due to the fact that ever since Gen 6, game freak has been introducing a new battle mechanics every single new generations. I think the fact that Mega Evolutions were brought into the Gen 7 game might be due to the fact that there are Pokemon from generations later than Gen 3 that also got Megas (Like Garchomp and Lucario), which wasn't obtainable in ORAS through normal game play (at least I don't think so), and they wanted people to be able to use Megas added in XY and ORAS all obtainable in one game. But as the trend goes, no other game mechanics have ever lasted more than one generations, which means that game freak isn't going to be bringing Mega Evolutions back anytime soon.

• Elberta

• CHEEPSHEEPS0
    CHEEPSHEEPS0 Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments Name Dropper

the exp share killed the franchise

• CHEEPSHEEPS0
    CHEEPSHEEPS0 Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments Name Dropper

• chillycapybara
    chillycapybara Member Posts: 8
    First Comment Photogenic

I like gen 6 and delphox, but I understand it's flaws.

I don't think charizard needs to be in many more games

Having legendaries on your team isn't as fun

The old Pokemon games were wayy too grindy

Exp share should be toggleable

• chillycapybara
    chillycapybara Member Posts: 8
    First Comment Photogenic

Another bad take is that honestly, i'm getting tired of all of the eevee ideas and personally don't think that eevee needs new evolutions.

8 feels like enough, and with the amount of special treatment it gets, similar to charizard and meowth, i think we should calm down about new eevee stuff and work on other, more deserving pokemon.

• High_Summoner
    High_Summoner Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic

1. This is probably not the most controversial opinion here, but mainline Pokemon in general is the best RPG. It's as hard or as easy as you want it to be given the casual campaigns which are easy, to the battle facilities and online which are competitive and difficult. There's also tons of different team build options, even if the game is unbalanced, it's still amazing that there's so much to choose from, it easily has the most content ever of any combat system. As of USUM, 807 characters is a lot, and some might say there's a lot of lower stage Pokemon to account for, but even lower stage evolutions can be built upon with eviolite, there's also 728 moves. Other big RPGs get only to 100 or 200 range, not even accounting for the passive abilities. Over 700 moves is nuts. Oh and you might say quantity over quality, well with 700 moves there definitely was plenty of opportunity for quality and that's what makes it so great. You can do basically any strategy option you could think of in the realm of a classic turn based system to the point of breaking the laws of turn based combat, you can reverse the law of turns, attack the magic defense stat with a physical attack, convert opponent's attack into HP recovery, absorb and redirect certain elemental attacks into health or attack power, swap your raw attack value with your raw defense value, pass on stat modification to allies, force swap items with opponents, copy opponent's abilities or force abilities onto others, lock opponents into using the same move. You can even just straight up transform into your opponent, copying everything aside HP which is actually beneficial. What is persona's main gameplay gimmick is a regular Pokemon move.

2. There's also just a lot of mini games and things to mess with outside of regular battle more than other RPGs, at least across the series, but some single titles are packed with break from main gameplay loop activity, and it makes each game feel fresh. There's secret bases, trainer customization, mantine surf, Pikachu's beach, worm hole ride, royal avenue/festival plaza, pokeathelon, contests, gambling, Pokemon Amie/refresh, poke pelago, super or hyper training mini games, PokeFinder. Even for people that just want to battle, there's a literal battle theme park called battle frontier that offers unique rules with record based systems, past that, there's triple battles, double battles, co-op battles, rotation, and battle royale. There's even different modes of trading like wonder trading or all of the rest of the trading systems in Pokemon home.

3. With all this being said about mainline Pokemon being content heavy, I really think people are whiny to say Pokemon are treated more than others like Kanto. They aren't wrong but that isn't to say that every Pokemon isn't updated. Every previous Pokemon is included in every game and updated visually and mechanically.

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

@CHEEPSHEEPS0 i personally prefer exp share in the Pokemon games I play but I have to acknowledge that it's not always well-implemented.

I'm curious to see what people thought of the accidental exp share from Red and Blue?

• puplover1118
    puplover1118 Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees First Anniversary 25 Likes

@High_Summoner What about the Switch games?