Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

What are your unpopular opinions

Options
Beyku
Beyku Member Posts: 4
First Comment Photogenic

"I'll start:

1. The Eeveelutions are overrated.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't hate the Eeveelutions. In fact, Jolteon and Umbreon are among some of my favorites. I just don't get the hype around Eevee and the Eeveelution as a whole (especially Sylveon).

2. Mega Evolutions are not coming back.

Mega Evolutions were fun, but I'm tired of seeing people say, "Mega Evolutions should come back in the next gen," or "Maybe we will get Mega Evolutions in the DLC." Please, just give it a rest already. We haven't had Megas since gen 7, and it's been 2 gens and almost 10 years since we last had it. I also believe the pseudo-legendaries didn't need Megas because they were already strong enough with a high base stat total, which defeats the point of Mega Evolution to begin with. Mega evolutions should have been exclusively for Pokemon who were really underperforming.

3. People really need to chill about Mudkip.

Now, I know why people would pick him because Swampert has one of the best typings ever. I get that, but man, some fans get so mad when they see people pick Treecko or Torchic over Mudkip. I always pick Treecko because, in my opinion, he has the best evolution out of the gen 3 starters. I also think that picking Mudkip is the "easy option" since once you have Swampert, your only weakness is Grass.

4. Greninja is overrated.

This includes Ash-Greninja. Like the Eeveelutions, I don't get the hype for the frog. The only reason why so many like him was because of Ash-Greninja in the anime. Cool shiny, though. I'm just more of a Chesnaught fan.

5. Scarlet players need to stop bashing Violet players just because they didn't pick Scarlet.

I've mostly seen this on Twitter, but as a Violet player, it kinda annoys me with the amount of hate we get from some Scarlet players. "Your paradox Pokemon are boring!" "Koraidon > Miraidon." "Your paradox Pokemon are just robots!" Okay? And I like it that way. I love mechas and robots, so of course, I'll pick Violet and ride all over Paldea with my cool robot snake.

- Oh, and Fuecoco and Skeledirge are overrated. I'm sorry. Sprigatito for the win.

- Stop hating on Quaxly too. Quaquaval is amazing.

I'll be preparing for the flaming pitchforks attacks now.

Comments

• _-_Eevee_-_
    _-_Eevee_-_ Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    5 Likes Combo Breaker 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

I feel like Sword And Shield are the best games.. I get A-LOT of hate for it :p

• Duskull101
    Duskull101 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    5 Likes First Answer Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

I really liked the ultra beasts. I honestly thought they were really cool and their designs were peak, Zurkitree is my third favorite pokemon too! :D

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

You are allowed to like them. No one has the right (or the ability) to deny you that. You do not deserve abuse for it.

But when you start claiming that they are the best games, people are going to want to know how that would be justified.

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 LOLs First Answer First Comment
    Options

Mega Evolution wasn't perfect. It was super fanservicey and basically meant nothing if your favorite Pokemon didn't have a Mega.

• D-ManBlue
    Options

@TheJeffers Agreed. Personally, they were the first Pokemon games I played where I felt something...off about them. I would be hard-pressed to claim they are the best.

• D-ManBlue
    Options

@Beyku Concerning number 4, it really irks me when certain starters get special treatment over others, as I think it completely defeats the purpose of the starter trio- each player is going to have certain preferences, and that is okay.

Personally, I like Greninja, but I have to agree that Ash-Greninja really shouldn't exist, at least not unless you introduce Serena-Delphox and Clemont-Chesnaught as well.

And don't even get me started on Charizard. Did you know that the reason Ash has a Pikachu as his partner is that the showrunners didn't want anyone who chose a different starter to feel alienated from the anime? Kind of ironic when you consider how much special attention Charizard gets these days.

• RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Answer First Comment 5 Agrees
    Options

regarding mega evolution, regardless of whether it's overrated it's very clearly the best implementation of the power-up mechanics. They had something good going, then instead of building on it they abandoned it only to replace it with worse versions.

Here's my hot take: the writing has never been good until Scarlet Violet. These are the only games with a good story and characterization. The bar was just so low for so long that we didn't expect much in that department. Nobody cared about the story or the characters, you were only there for the creatures and the journey.

• BloodLilies
    BloodLilies Member Posts: 5
    First Answer First Comment Photogenic
    Options

Heart Gold/Soul Silver are really unfun to replay. They made some improvements to the originals (the Safari Zone is at least a cool idea), but refused to fix stuff like the terrible level scaling or tedious phone system. I almost wonder if replacing general trainer rematches with designated areas that scale with your badge level in gen 5 was partially in response to this.

Scarlet and Violet's open world makes fighting the non-story trainer battles really tedious. They'll all just way too spread out.

• Cookerisreal
    Cookerisreal Member Posts: 11
    5 Agrees Name Dropper First Answer First Comment
    Options

Gen 6 and 7 were actually, x and y were baby crap in terms of difficult but it and omega ruby and alpha sapphire were still fun

• Razorblade713
    Razorblade713 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Options

X & Y helped bring Pokemon back into the mainstream eye more than people give it credit for. Black & White was viewed by some as a soft reboot and alienated fans of the previous gens who wanted to continue with their favorite partner Pokemon.

IMO, X and Y used the leap to 3D on the 3DS as an opportunity bring forward new ideas while giving new players a chance to meet the original big 3 (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle) and returning players a chance to relive beloved memories of their youth.

While it's plot may have been weak and Team Flare may have been ridiculous, X & Y provided an experience that has yet to be duplicated since.