Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Best Pokémon Game?

Just wanted to see everyone’s opinion and reasoning.

Possible games can be from main series and side series!

Comments

• Flametix
    Flametix Member Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees 100 LOLs 100 Likes

I think GSC comprise the best games in the series for many reasons I have posted about before. Let me count the ways how GSC improved on RBY to set the direction for the future of Pokemon:

• Balance changes like splitting up the Special stat and fixing trapping moves
    • Adding new beloved mechanics like eggs, held items, shinies, Steel and Dark types, moving Pokemon in boxes, Mystery Gift, and the Battle Tower
    • Atmospheric changes like giving trainers names and calls for rematches and items, the day/night/week cycle, putting legendaries on the box and giving them a role in the story for you to seek out
  • Flametix
    Flametix Member Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees 100 LOLs 100 Likes

Also Crystal was the first game to have a female protagonist, animated sprites, and Mobile Adapter support to play online in Japan.

• ShmabbyTwo
    ShmabbyTwo Member Posts: 1
    First Comment Photogenic

I think that overall, the games keep getting better and better. Obviously each game has it's flaws, but I love the improvements they make with each game. Remembering back to playing generation 1 Blue version and generation 2 Silver version is great, and I wouldn't trade those days for anything, but the new games and improvements keep me coming back.

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

Honestly, the basic mechanics of Pokemon didn't really get perfected until Gen IV imo, then they introduced the physical/special split.

Other than that, I would say there isn't really a "best" game. Every installment has its strengths and weaknesses

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    500 Comments 250 Agrees 25 Answers 100 Likes

PLA

• Nam-Gi
    Nam-Gi Member Posts: 10
    First Comment Photogenic Name Dropper

I liked the concept of the Stadium games. When I was younger and had friends over we'd have a little party. Stay up late and play the mini games or take turns going through the Gyms and Leagues. Best part was the ability to play early generations on the TV with the GamePak.

• Ninijatt
    Ninijatt Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

Original Sun and Moon

Great selection of Pokemon

Lovable characters

A touching story of overcoming abuse

Good level of difficulty

Ya Boi Guzma

It's got it all

• 10types
    10types Member Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
    25 Agrees 5 Answers 25 Likes Name Dropper

Ptcgo as of now, but it might be twinleaf when it comes out

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

Okay, so regarding my previous comment-

I would have to say B2W2 or SV are the best Pokemon games, if solely from a gameplay perspective

• RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

I personally can't decide which game or generation of games is the best because Pokemon is so give and take. That said, I can narrow it down to 5 games from 3 categories.

Emerald, HGSS, and B2W2 are the standout old games that offer great postgame content, creative environments, and a charming art style that has stood the test of time.

Scarlet Violet are the best new games (though this title goes to the newest game by default) due to the breadth of QoL changes in shiny hunting, competitive team building, etc. Not to mention their 3D environments being the most ambitious to date.

Lastly, in a sort of in between category I pick ORAS as it retains the best blend of positive elements from the old and new games as well as having 721 playable pokemon.