Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Thoughts on Nintendo's Thoughts on Nuzlockes?

Options
D-ManBlue
D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
5 Agrees 5 LOLs First Answer First Comment

So, this happened quite some time ago-

Content creators Kit and Krysta (Nintendo Minute) talked about something a year or so ago that happened when they pitched an idea to Nintendo about doing a video on a Nuzlocke- they didn't take the news well at all and just about fired them. It was stated that doing Nuzlockes was the same as hacking.

Then someone cleared it up by saying that they were fine with players doing Nuzlockes, they just didn't want people hacking the game.

Thoughts? Any details I got wrong about this event? Personally I think it's kind of ridiculous that the company responsible for Pokemon doesn't even know what a Nuzlocke is, given its prominence in the fanbase.

Comments

• DylanVsTheWorld
    DylanVsTheWorld Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    5 Likes 5 Agrees First Answer Name Dropper
    Options

I didn’t know that but that’s weird. I mean I guess I don’t expect them to keep up with the more “intense” fans who do stuff like nuzlockes.

Either A) they’re just Nintendo executives so they probably don’t even play that much, they are just businessmen. Or B) They contacted Nintendo of Japan and maybe they just didn’t know that word. Or both.

• RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Answer First Comment 5 Agrees
    Options

I personally do not see the appeal of radically changing the rules of the game as my taste in pretty much everything is very vanilla.

However, choosing your way to play is a key aspect of the games and recognizing how much of their success is owed to it is very important. Broadly speaking I am disheartened by any decision to remove choice from the player and limit their way to play.

• SvenBTB42
    SvenBTB42 Member Posts: 6
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    Options

Yeah, like you said it was something taken out of context/they didn't understand what was being said, and have since said that they don't care if people do challenge runs of the games.

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    5 Agrees 5 LOLs First Answer First Comment
    Options

@SvenBTB42 I figured- I just think it's crazy that they didn't know what a Nuzlocke was.

• machlikenjoyer
    machlikenjoyer Member Posts: 16
    First Comment
    Options

Imagine expecting anything resembling a sane or reasonable action from Nintendo, TPC, or Gamefreak.