Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

What pokemon game has the best story?

Comments

• Flametix
    Flametix Member Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees 100 LOLs 100 Likes

I felt like the original GEN 2 games told a great sequel story to build off the hype of gen 1, and it was kind of more serious and realistic than black 2 and white 2 having basically the same places unchanged. Team rocket is causing real trouble 3 years later, but still ends up clinging to the ghost of Giovanni and can't go on without him. Compared to the traditions of johto, Kanto becomes more industrialized with the magnet train and lavender tower becoming a radio tower, and the legends of the past are long gone. Cinnabar volcano erupted and destroyed the island. It all caps off by facing Blue and Red again as the true bookend to the stories of Gen 1 and 2.

• Token1079
    Token1079 Member Posts: 26
    Name Dropper 5 Agrees 10 Comments Photogenic

I really liked Pokemon scarlet and violet story

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

@Flametix I do agree that the gen 2 games were great sequels, and in another universe a worthy conclusion to the Pokémon franchise. The games very quickly improved and expanded upon the foundation set by their predecessors. It was very gratifying to see how the Pokémon world moved on after the events of gen 1 and returning to Kanto to see the evolution of people and places you saw in the first games was a big part of that.

But Team Rocket has to be the weakest part of it. Yes, part of the point may have been that they couldn't move on after Giovanni left them, and he was the mastermind that turned them from a group of petty thieves and thugs into a threatening criminal organisation in the first place, but in game it makes them seem pathetic and unfocused.

The culmination of their grand scheme was to hijack the radio station and meekly call out to Giovanni. A very 90s solution for seeking people or information, but all it communicates is that beyond their (somewhat cruel) small-scale schemes like lopping off and selling Slowpoke tails, no one in the organisation had any real ambition or vision.

The escalation of the evil team in subsequent games to plots of world domination or destruction, while cliché, served only to diminish them further by contrast.

• The-meister
    The-meister Member Posts: 7
    Photogenic First Comment Name Dropper

Imo Gen 5 had the best story in terms of overall themes and ideas. Is it right to keep Pokemon confined in Poke Balls? How do the people of Unova answer this question? Team Plasma goes for the idea of liberation (ignoring the Ghetsis twist at the end of BW ofc), while the main cast of player and rivals challenges that idea. I think this overall theme and question is very fitting for the series and is much more engaging than world lore - though, of course, both are engaging, which is why I also enjoyed Gen 4 and Legends: Arceus!

As a long-time fan, Gen 5 also feels like a more mature interpretation of the series, which I will always appreciate. It's also why I love the grittier (though not as well executed) stories of the Orre games on GameCube.

• Flametix
    Flametix Member Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees 100 LOLs 100 Likes

@The-meister I felt team plasma's fake message was defeated by the fact that we only see their members being mostly evil early on like kicking Munna and stealing stuff like any other common criminals. Even N himself talks to our pokemon and they say they want to stay with us which he can't argue against, unlike all the other people tricked by team plasma.

• RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

Yeah Gen 5 is not that deep when you realize the central moral question of the story is ironically presented very... black and white lol

Everyone advocating for the liberation of pokemon is mean and their leader doesn't even believe in his own message so his side of the argument loses by default. Idk it feels like we give this story too much credit.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

I am happy to see that gen 5's story resonated with so many people, in spite of its flaws.

I think the main critique of the story is that while the concept is enticing, it is lacking in execution.

The revelation that Plasma's plan was a front for World Domination™ undermines a lot of the intrigue and as far as the narrative was concerned proved the protagonists right. Again, the game seemed to operate on the logic that the protagonists were correct because they were the protagonists using the core mechanic of the series. Even the adult characters like the professor and many of the gym leaders act like catching and using Pokémon is a correct and foregone moral conclusion.

And it's not like a Pokémon professor or Pokémon League gym leaders' livelihoods or lifestyles would depend on captured Pokémon leading to bias or selfish pragmatism, right?

It is interesting that BW2 introduce Colress exploring extracting power from Pokémon at any cost when the previous antagonists advocated for Pokémon happiness and liberty at any cost. He by contrast seems to very sincerely believe in his convictions and it does serve to explore the other side of the moral debate that BW introduced, though it is extreme and once again somewhat hastily concludes that Pokémon are our friends and we love them and they love battling and they don't mind being left to rot in boxes or aggressively bred for optimal stats just to be discarded if not absolutely genetically perfect, trust us. We are not like Colress.

It's a kids' game. Protagonist good and morally correct.

Still, an attempt is more admirable than no attempt at all.

I feel a remake, or even a BW3, if handled correctly could help improve the series' exploration of these themes. Maybe leave the conclusions on the morality of the Pokémon world and the implications of its core mechanics to the player. Don't outright assert that just because the player inevitably wins, the good guys do too.

• MajorBrendan
    MajorBrendan Member Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭
    100 Answers 100 Likes First Anniversary 1000 Comments

Pokemon X Y along with Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha sapphire.

• puplover1118
    puplover1118 Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees First Anniversary 25 Likes

@MajorBrendan Quick question: did you know what Lysandre’s motive was for trying to use the ultimate weapon just from the game?

• MajorBrendan
    MajorBrendan Member Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭
    100 Answers 100 Likes First Anniversary 1000 Comments

@puplover1118 In attempt to bring Kalos back to a more beautiful form by using the ultimate weapon. However, I have a much better plot-line for the post game for the remake of Pokemon X and Y. Which also begs the bigger question, who is the real leader of team flare. Once I work for the pokemon company, I will see to it that both the remake and the plot line will come to light.