Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

What pokemon game has the best story?

lavasnail
lavasnail Member Posts: 4
First Comment Photogenic

idk, Scarlet/Violet was pretty good

Comments

• BlueD
    BlueD Member Posts: 6
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, and the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games in general. The main series games don't do much with their stories.

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

Really depends on what you're looking for. I personally think Sun and Moon was the best with character writing, and Scarlet and Violet were also pretty great in the story department- not to mention how likable all the characters are.

• Lightpikachu123
    Lightpikachu123 Member Posts: 36
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic

https://community.pokemon.com/en-us/discussion/comment/14540#Comment_14540You're probably the first person I see who actually like Gates. I like the PMD series, but it imo, Super Mystery Dungeon feels like what Gates tried to be.

• InkDrop4
    InkDrop4 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

That's a tough one. if we're going with pure plot, the Black and White duology (quadrology?) were really good, but if we're looking for character writing I'd go with Scarlet and Violet. mix of both? try a mystery dungeon game, I'm partial to Super Mystery Dungeon but they're all pretty good. I also feel like X and Y should be mentioned on merit of the Looker Postgame Episodes alone.

• Boured
    Boured Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic First Answer

For pure story, Mystery Dungeon. For main series, I would think Black and White and its sequels as a pair.

• Elberta
    Elberta Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    25 Agrees First Answer Name Dropper 10 Comments

Scarlet and Violet, it explores three different options and eventually finishes it off as the big reveal that Arven's parent's robots is amazing, it goes off the original formula like Legends Arceus and really felt like a whole new game instead of just exploring gyms in a different region.

• RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

Scarlet Violet isn't just good, it's the best writing I've seen from Gamefreak in the entire series.

The school drama storyline with Penny was surprisingly grounded and relatable. These characters felt real. Speaking of, Arven, that is probably the most compelling Pokemon character we've ever seen.

Traditionally Pokemon has featured weak writing. Most people don't care for it, the story is not what draws people in, and I usually don't enjoy it. But in Scarlet Violet I can say that for the first time I genuinely enjoyed sitting through the story.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

Either Black and White or their sequels. The games were willing to at least suggest an exploration of the morality of the series' core mechanic (and promptly conclude that what the playera have been doing was right because they were not going to condemn their own audience, a sizable quantity of which were children, but it is more thoughtful than anything before it). The gym leaders and other significant characters actually played a role in combating the main antagonist threat rather than being passive outside of the gym challenge. I also liked the main cast and the parallels between the player character and N's story, and to an extent those of Cheren and Bianca as well.

• puplover1118
    puplover1118 Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees First Anniversary 25 Likes

@InkDrop4 What about Sun/Moon? Lillie's journey makes it one of the best, and people complaining about it is probably why the Ultra games have inferior writing.

• AceTrainerBasil
    AceTrainerBasil Member Posts: 18
    Name Dropper 5 Agrees 10 Comments Photogenic

Unpopular opinion, but I think SwSh story is the best. At least it makes the most sense.

First, you as a trainer. You don't just go on an adventure because you're 10 and you can. You go there specifically because it's a common thing for kids to try to pursuit a sports career. You go to the gyms, league staff works there, you're guided, everything is in order - that's much closer to real life than "go catch 250 pokemon for that creepy professor you just met".

Second, Leon and Hop. One is a disciplinned, strong-willed giant of a person, another is a fairly typical younger brother that has some talent and some curiosity, but was raised in a much more relaxed manner and is not used to hard work. So me:) I think those two are best characters in Pokémon, they're so alive, so realistic. And Leon is a true celebrity, he really has that PRESENSE! Btw, anyone noticed a slight similarity with Wolfey Glick?

Third, Chairman Rose. A dictator that thinks he has a mission, who surrounded themself with people who don't dare to say he's wrong. Don't you think it's a common archetype in world's politics? The guy thought he's in the best position to solve that energy crisis and go down in history as THE GUY who provided Galar with energy for millenia to come. He thought he had the best army... I mean the best Champion and will easily win a small wa... Darkest Day. His actions make much more sense than community thinks!

And lastly, Peony. The Arven of Gen 8, the most charming character in the game. Can't say much other than I proud to have a friend like him!

Special kudos to the devs for making Leon notice Eternatus on my team. That was THE BEST THING I EVER EXPERIENCED IN POKÉMON!

They should've implemented that in HGSS. Like, when you walk with your legendary, everyone should've been freaking out, like: "what a hell is this pokemon?!" instead of "your pokemon is really cute, I wish I had one". Like, come on, lady, this is not your average Cyndaquil, that's freakin' Ho-Oh!