Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

feeling a bit silly about my want to play locally and at Regional play events

so like,

orginially i was only playing Pokemon as a meme (the tcg i mean I've been playing the games for years). I have been an avid Yugioh player until about 5 years ago.

this past year my younger brother has gotten me very into playing the card game and it has reignited my want to play competitive card games again. i really want to play at a locals, and i really REALLY wanna play at a regional level event but I feel a bit silly because I am 34.

should I feel this way? when I played Yugioh it was almost always people between 22 and 35 years old but i wasn't so sure about pokemon.

maybe I'm just a little nervous I'm not sure. but I really wanna play this charizard deck irl xD

Comments

• DoubleCure
    DoubleCure Member Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50 Answers 100 LOLs 500 Comments 250 Agrees

You're fine it's just a card game, your age it's no one business, majority are younger yes... but there are also many older players, don't worry about your age just have fun 😉

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    500 Comments 250 Agrees 25 Answers 100 Likes

I would start by finding a testing group (speaking of, I should do the same), and not worrying about your age, just look at Andrew Mahoen, JW Kriewall, and Jesse Parker, they’re all in their thirties and are responsible for making Miraidon ex popular. As for the deck pick, I highly recommend Charizard to new players, so you already have a great idea there, I would also recommend Miraidon ex to beginners, as both take little skill to pilot, but can be taken much further by skilled players.

• Jadite
    Jadite Member Posts: 300 ✭✭
    25 LOLs 100 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic

You got this!!!!

I started playing the PTCG at a local place with a thrown together deck with my old bulk and some of my better cards and I loved it!

Age really doesn't matter, I've played against way older people and some kids way younger. Pokemon is a game for all ages, and has a much better community than games like yu-gi-oh or magic in my opinion.

Seriously bro, go for it, have fun!

• Octowen
    Octowen Member Posts: 587 ✭✭✭✭
    500 Comments 250 Agrees 100 Likes 100 LOLs

Don’t worry about your age! Pokémon is all-inclusive, and there are plenty of famous players who are 30+.

• Pokémon342548
    Pokémon342548 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    First Answer 5 Likes 5 Agrees 10 Comments

Yes! Pokémon is for everyone!

• Michaelzero21
    Michaelzero21 Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Name Dropper

thank you all so much for your kind words <3 im gunna give it a real try and see how it turns out. gunna go to locals this weekend <3

• Jadite
    Jadite Member Posts: 300 ✭✭
    25 LOLs 100 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic

You got this! Whether you win or lose, just have fun and make friends!!!!

• Michaelzero21
    Michaelzero21 Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Name Dropper

thank you all for your kind words <3 im going to go to a locals IRL this weekend to play test against actual humans xD. so far ive almost made it to ultra ball online with this build and the curiosity is killing me

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Agrees

Yeah, you're all good man! Having been to two regionals and now a world championships, I can tell you for sure that there are a ton of adults there, so you don't need to feel silly at all. If you don't believe me, just watch one of the streams. They only stream masters matches, which are players 16+, so all you will see are adults.

• PokemiiAC
    PokemiiAC Member Posts: 614 ✭✭
    25 Likes 5 Answers 500 Comments 25 LOLs

Pokemon TCG live is also a good way to organise decks