Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

The early history of the Pokémon Franchise

Hello everyone!

I am new to the Pokémon forums, so firstly I just want to say a big hello to everyone who is reading. It's great to have a place where fans can express themselves about such a beloved franchise! We are fast approaching thirty years of Pokémon, and I am one of the people who started with the franchise in the late 90s.

For anyone who doesn't know, it was a very exciting time to be a kid during the "Pokémania" hype in the late 90s, you couldn't escape it! As a young adult, I was visiting the various fan communities, buying trading cards, stickers, toys, and of course, the video games. My first game was Pokémon Blue with Charmander, and then Pokémon Crystal with Cyndaquil, a game that I absolutely adore, even to this day! While I continued to enjoy the franchise up to the present day, nothing can really beat that earliest era for me, it was truly a special time.

I would very much like to hear more stories from Pokémon fans who grew up during this era, and learn about their experiences. I like to write about those experiences and share them with the world, so people can be educated on what it was like during that early era.

I look forward to hearing from you all!

Comments

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    100 LOLs 100 Likes 100 Agrees 500 Comments

First, and foremost, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to post a thoughtful and well laid discussion.

With that out of the way, I too started in the late 90s. I chose Squirtle but I adored the game so much I deleted my save multiple times to try different starters, different orders of fights, exploits, speed running, finding a complete dex. I dipped my toe into learning the TCG and even talked my Mom and Brother into going to the premier of the first movie, and then going to the second movie although a week after it came out. But my dream was always to focus on the games and maybe some day to help make games better.

To this day I have played Pokemon: Blue, Red, Yellow, Silver, Gold, Crystal, Ruby, Emerald, Platinum, Black, White 2, Y, Moon, and Ultra Sun. I am happy the latest Generation has taken to an open world and storytelling as I think those things will most likely grab and create fond memories for younger Gamers.

I think the new 3D graphics will be best in a 3D environment. We are moving forwards in time after all, and progress and ingenuity will build wealth for the franchise. Open world is the most interesting type of games right now and what makes them great is when they are crafted to have movement and interaction in environments be interesting.

Also, the beginning of the franchise was the most exciting time, but I'm sure together we can make the franchise exciting again.

• Flareonb0ii
    Flareonb0ii Member Posts: 34
    Photogenic 10 Comments Name Dropper

You all know about the Johtonic Empire that used to rule Pokémon for like the Second Half of the 18th Century

• Flareonb0ii
    Flareonb0ii Member Posts: 34
    Photogenic 10 Comments Name Dropper

Or how Messed Up Hoenn Was with all of its Corrupted Leaders in the 19th Century

• Flametix
    Flametix Member Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees 100 LOLs 100 Likes

i'm not a 90s kid but we have some old threads about it, @TheJeffers would have some good insight

• Flametix
    Flametix Member Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees 100 LOLs 100 Likes

most people here probably aren't from that era but we do have an old thread about discovering pokemon, @TheJeffers would be a good one to talk to

• clasingla
    clasingla Member Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 50 Answers 250 Likes 100 LOLs

the crazy thing is in like 30 years when new Pokémon games are coming out some of the ones we started with or the era we started in will be considered classic and retro