Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

What's the point of ranks if you constantly get paired up against opponents from a different rank?

Seriously I don't think I've played a single game against an opponent in the same league as I am. To absolutely no one's surprise, the player with the highest league wins 99% of the time.

Am I missing something? Is this a choice to turn away players?

Best Answer

• DoubleCure
    DoubleCure Member Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50 Answers 100 LOLs 500 Comments 250 Agrees
    edited August 8 #2 Answer ✓

You aren't missing anything, there is no way to turn away players either… the pairing is just garbage overall. Maybe one day devs will make it decent and fair I hope.

Answers

• 10types
    10types Member Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
    25 Agrees 5 Answers 25 Likes Name Dropper

I think there's a bug with matchmaking in the new update (which often happens with new updates). I personally don't find that the higher rated player wins all the time tho

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    500 Comments 250 Agrees 25 Answers 100 Likes

I find that if you’re on a winning streak, the have will pair you against higher ranked players.

• Lenchy
    Lenchy Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

I just started playing online. I'm still learning to prize check. I'm still learning what decks exist. My most recent match was me, at 350, against a player at 1050. Two whole leagues above mine. There's seriously no one else closer to my rank playing the official pokemon card game, including on mobile?

Are there like 3 people playing on the ladder at any given time? It's about to be 2 if I take a break.

• DoubleCure
    DoubleCure Member Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50 Answers 100 LOLs 500 Comments 250 Agrees
    edited August 10 #6

@Lenchy there are more then 3 for sure lol

Acording to MMO Stats in May 2024 they say about 1,5k monthly average daily players, in a total of 3,5 million registred players (not sure if this includes the previous client TCG Online, because even tho they say May 2024 they still refer the game as TCG Online).

In May 2023 they estimated 27,4k monthly average daily.

That's a big drop... take this with a large grey salt tho, I have no idea how they come up with this numbers.

But I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of players left the game and not that many new players stay for long, I actually know many of this cases.