Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

How did you discover Pokemon?

Comments

• Yodude73
    Yodude73 Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Name Dropper 5 Agrees 5 Likes 5 LOLs

Probably in 2015 I got introduced to pokemon cards, because some friends of mine started collecting. Soon after I got into the show. As I started to homeschool I stopped buying as many cards. I got cards every now and then because there was a comic shop with cards next to my pottery studio. I grew my collection over the years, and about a couple months after sword and shield came out I stopped watching the series and collecting the cards. Maybe about 2 years later, I try to play pokemon go. It didn't really intrugue me at the time so I stopped doing just about anything with pokemon. In 2022 I bought a Game Boy Advance SP. I bought a copy of Fire Red and Emerald. Unfortunately later in the year I found out the copies were fake. It didn't make a difference to the playability but to the resale price. After that I got back into Pokemon Go, and later in the year, the card game. Since then it has become my favorite game series and have been collecting games and cards nonstop.

• CherryFizz507
    CherryFizz507 Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    5 Answers 100 Comments Name Dropper 5 Agrees

I live in America, so I never knew. It’s sad that kids (at least where I live) don’t remember the good days (1997-2005)

• DoubleCure
    DoubleCure Member Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50 Answers 100 LOLs 500 Comments 250 Agrees

@CherryFizz507 The best to me is the TCG, collecting and playing physical/online (online specially had betters days imo).

Also enjoyed some video games, tho I get tired of them fast 😅 even the TCG from time to time when the meta gets boring I take a long pause.

But I had great times with the overall Pokémon franchise. Also most of the community it's fantastic.

• NoahLaprasForum
    NoahLaprasForum Member Posts: 920 ✭✭✭
    100 Likes 100 Agrees 100 LOLs 500 Comments

i am introduced to pokemon when i started watching Journeys. From then it was going fast, i get the cards, go and more and more. That was 3 years ago or something, in that three years i think i am transformed in the biggest pokemon fan from Europe 😅😅. Name me a pokemon and i tell pokedex entries, numbers, how it looks..

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Agrees

My great aunt gave me a ziploc bag of some random common pokemon cards that her kids had owned, but I wasn't that interested in them. Later I found a little handbook of the pokemon from the kanto region at Barnes and Noble, bought it, started memorizing the pokemon, and her I am now.

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Agrees

@NoahLaprasForum Distuingish Duosion from Solosis.

• JuliusVercelli
    JuliusVercelli Member Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    25 Agrees Photogenic First Answer Name Dropper

I used to go to my grandma’s house a lot as a kid, (around the 2000’s mostly) and she used to have old VHS tapes. Some of those VHS tapes were episodes of the Pokémon anime, and me and my friend, who lived next door to my grandma’s house, watched them together. I could never watch it in order unfortunately, plus I don’t think they were making any more of those tapes. The only way we could find those tapes were in garage/yard sales. (And sometimes thrift stores)

Pokemon wasn’t the only thing I watched though, I watched Digimon as well! People seem to compare the two even though they’re both different in their own way.

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers

I can't even remember because I was so young. I thought I started with a used copy of X and that's where the obsession started, but my parents told me I liked Pokémon even before that. This franchise has become a large part of my brain, has taught me lots of things, has affected my personality more than anything else could, and is probably part of the reason I don't know how to act like a normal, real person. It has had a very significant effect on me throughout my entire life. But I am so grateful I grew up like this and not like a normal person, because I love who I turned out to be, even with all my issues.

• CherryFizz507

@DoubleCure Thats nice!

• CherryFizz507