Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

How did you discover Pokemon?

CherryFizz507
CherryFizz507 Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
5 Answers 100 Comments Name Dropper 5 Agrees

How did you discover Pokemon? What did you think about it at the time?

Comments

• CherryFizz507

I discovered Pokemon when I was about 4 and a half years old. My first Pokemon game I played was Pokemon Fire Red on my 3DS. I have a Blastoise transferred from my 3DS to Pokemon Home on my Nintendo Switch to keep it safe. I hope I can play with it in every upcoming Pokemon Game.

• clasingla
    clasingla Member Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 50 Answers 250 Likes 100 LOLs

2016 I was introduced to the cards quickly got into the show and played Pokémon go I got into the main games switch era because I had no idea what a 3ds was and only knew what other game systems were because my cousins had them I thought the Nintendo Wii was the newest system at the time then my cousin had a switch which I liked playing so I bought my own in 2020 and the first game that I played was let’s go eevee

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    500 Comments 250 Agrees 25 Answers 100 Likes

Some old friends gave me some cards back in 2015-2016

• CherryFizz507

I played a lot of Pokemon Go but my first was fire red

• DoubleCure
    DoubleCure Member Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50 Answers 100 LOLs 500 Comments 250 Agrees

In the Anime series, I didn't found it that good but was watchable.

• CherryFizz507

@DoubleCure Ok. What is your opinion on the Pokemon franchise overall?

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

I discovered Pokémon during the height of Pokémania. Pretty much everyone in my school watched the anime, bought the trading cards (though only I bothered to learn the rules), played the games and begged our parents for just about every Pokémon branded thing that came out.

I was supposed to get Pokémon Red for my birthday, but my mum gave it to me a little early, shortly after release instead. I played that game religiously until I beat it, and then begged my parents for a copy of Blue to play it again, and Yellow when that released.

I was the right age at a time when it was impossible not to be a Pokémon fan. You kids today have no idea if you think Pokémon is popular now.

There was no opting out. It was practically mandatory.

• CherryFizz507

@TheJeffers I was not around then, I learned about Pokémon around the 2000s. But I have heard a lot from others about how it was very popular.

Now if you go up to a kid and say you like Pokémon, you get called weird. Kids don’t even like One Piece anymore.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

There is a reason it was called Pokémania. There is a reason Red and Blue were the best selling games.

My experience is different because I live in Japan, but One Piece is very popular here, even among adults.

Anime was until recently (well, the past decade or so) a very niché hobby in the west, and when I was a kid it was hard to get anything but the biggest, most mainstream stuff and even then it was probably a 4Kids dub. At least I could watch it on TV as a kid. Before that era I hear you had to resort to trading VHS tapes.

Now the landscape is totally different in the west. You can stream anime the same day it airs in Japan and a lot of the more obscure stuff is readily available on demand, so people have more choice.

For a kid in the 90s and early 2000s, you were watching what was popular and dubbed on TV every Saturday or your parents bought you a random VHS for Christmas.

It blew my mind when dedicated cartoon channels like Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon became available. "You mean I can just watch cartoons whenever? Not just Saturday morning or 3pm?"

But in Japan, anime is fairly normal. You do still get the otakus and hyper fans who take things to an extreme degree, but your average person probably has one or two anime they liked as a kid and still watch from time to time. Or show up in cinemas for the movies. The biggest franchises have been going for years, and kids today like them just as their parents did in their childhood.

• MajorBrendan
    MajorBrendan Member Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭
    100 Answers 100 Likes First Anniversary 1000 Comments

When I was a little kid, I first watch the show when I was in south korea.