Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Mystery of Ash's Dad

MajorBrendan
MajorBrendan Member Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
100 Answers 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Agrees

Far as I'm concerned, we don't know much about Ash's dad. Definitely not Giovanni. Especially the fact that Ash has the lightning shaped markings on his cheeks. Maybe Ash's dad is some traveling vagabond who just left Delia to raise Ash all by himself.

Comments

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers

It's either Mr. Mime or Giovanni. /joke

• MajorBrendan

@unovanzorua Not very likely.

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers

I know. That's why there's a joke indicator.

• MajorBrendan

@UnovanZorua I understand however, I don't joke around in situations like this. Ash's dad happen to be one of the plot holes that Pokemon Journeys nor any part of the main series didn't bother capitalizing in proper canonical fashion.

• grriffinn
    grriffinn Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 25 Agrees

IIRC there an old 2008 interview with Masamitsu Hidaka (a storyboarder that worked on the Pokémon anime up until around Battle Frontier season) that Ash’s dad was a Pokémon Trainer who left on journey, here’s an excerpt from that interview that goes into more detail.

He explained Ash’s grandfather was a great Trainer who traveled the lands a long time ago, and Ash’s father followed in his footsteps and left. Then I asked if he would ever appear, and he responded that only if the writers felt a need to “grow” Ash as a character…

That said it’s worth noting that Hidaka mentioned that, as a storyboarder, he had no control over how the anime was written at the time and that the anime has has changed hands several times since they worked on it. It stands to reason that, considering how Journeys ended, this “plot point” was eventually left on the wayside.

@MajorBrendan Really? That’s your reaction to someone making a simple joke? You really need to learn the MST3K Mantra:

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes 
    And other science facts 
    Then repeat to yourself 'It's just a show, 
    I should really just relax.’

But seriously, getting this obsessed over the Pokémon anime (or anything else, really) isn’t exactly good for one’s metal health.

• MajorBrendan

@grriffinn you'd be surprised in what I can do sooner or later.

• Hey_PIKMIN
    Hey_PIKMIN Member Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 25 Answers 100 LOLs 100 Agrees

I think there was some old play where Giovani was Ash's mother and Delia (his wife) was an ex grunt

• FallenFurfrou
    FallenFurfrou Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Agrees 5 Answers

@Hey_PIKMIN You're right. That old play you're talking about is called Pokemon Live!

Anyway, in the anime's old light novel Pocket Monsters: The Animation, there seemed to be hints of Ash's father actually being a deadbeat. But since the light novel was released early on, there were a few elements that contradicted the anime it was based on.

• MajorBrendan

@FallenFurfrou Which is why Ash's journey is far from over. I won't let him go not until I'm completely satisfied that his journey comes to a proper end with a good deal of plot holes filled. Especially the identity of Ash's dad.

• NoahLaprasForum
    NoahLaprasForum Member Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 LOLs 100 Agrees 100 Likes

woooow @Hey_PIKMIN that would be so exciting.