Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Hardest gym leader

clasingla
clasingla Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
500 Agrees 50 Answers 250 Likes 100 LOLs

which one gave you the most trouble through your Pokémon adventure was it their gym challenge or their team

for me the hardest gym leader to beat was maylene and her gym challenge was difficult to it took me three attempts to beat her saying that the only member of my team that was strong against her fighting types was a disobedient chatot it took me three times to beat

give me your stories

Comments

• cpm1
    cpm1 Member Posts: 349 ✭✭✭
    25 Answers Second Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Agrees

grusha

• Acornyo
    Acornyo Member Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 100 LOLs 50 Answers 500 Comments

I struggled on Larry. If Orthworm wasn't on my team, I would have been cooked.

His Dudunsparce is an absolute unit, never been more scared in my life.

• Pok3m0nMaSt0r29
    Pok3m0nMaSt0r29 Member Posts: 42
    Name Dropper 5 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic

Grusha was the WORST! I had such a hard time beating him

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

Elesa and her flying, Volt Switching Emolga are frequent sources of frustration in any BW playthrough.

The last time I played Heart Gold I got stuck on Claire for some reason. I think my team comp was very gimmicky because I had already played through gen 2's various incarnations multiple times and was looking to pick some more esoteric Pokémon for that run-through.

I ended up abandoning the game for months, came back to challenge her just to see what the problem had been and... beat her with the existing team.

Why does that keep happening in RPGs?

• Pok3m0nMaSt0r29
    Pok3m0nMaSt0r29 Member Posts: 42
    Name Dropper 5 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic

@TheJeffers Idk :P

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers

This is very funny timing, I was just redoing the battle against Whitney who knows how many times yesterday and only beat her thanks to my starter's final Ice Fang being a crit. The move had 1PP left after the battle, and all my Super and Hyper potions were gone, I had to use herbal medicine to recover my starter on the 2nd last turn so I don't lose. Her Miltank is too fast, has stomp and attract, Milk Drink if you're unlucky, she has at least two Super potions, and Miltank's stats are just too much for only the third gym.

A lot of the kids playing these games probably leveled up only their starter, which is usually male, meaning attract can affect it, and if they chose Cyndaquil too then rollout could easily knock them out. Not to mention Miltank is fast and will flinch you with Stomp.

I'm glad they felt enough empathy to not give it Body Slam at least.

• Michael629303
    Michael629303 Member Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭
    250 Agrees First Anniversary 25 LOLs 100 Likes

Ok. this was in pokemon ultra sun where they didn't have gyms but the wild pokemon. I had found that the battle Ribombee and Kommo-o really difficult. I had to redo those a few times.

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Agrees

I really struggled on Maylene's gym challenge in Brilliant Diamond. Plus I was doing a full-water play through and 3/5 of my mons were Bibarels, which are weak to fighting. I can't tell you how many times I played that battle. I never beat it, either. I just abandoned the game after a couple of months of this.

• Pokemaster9293
    Pokemaster9293 Member Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 5 Answers 25 Agrees 25 Likes

Whitney, Clair, Norman and Sabrina I’m sure all of you know why they are hard to beat

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 813 ✭✭✭
    100 LOLs 100 Likes 100 Agrees 500 Comments

@TheJeffers Elesa is definitely hard. And Claire has given me trouble before as well. I think if you don't have a good pokemon matchup against her she has a couple pokemon that can beat entire teams.

If you don't get a ground type or grind Lt Surge is trouble. Starting with Charmander Brock can give beginners trouble.

cant bring up Whitney enough

Gen 3 winona is trouble and in gen 6 there's a gym leader that has gotten me my first playthrough but I don't want to spoil it. I'm sure 4,5, and 7 have someone who is a challenge. I haven't played 8 or 9.