Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Banned standard deck cards?

Options

Why am I not able to use some of my decks in standard play? It says banned cards but I haven’t had this problem before. Is it because of the new update?

Answers

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

With this update, Standard went through a rotation. All cards with an E in the lower-left corner are no longer standard legal. This is not a bug. You'll need to make new decks. Going forward, you should actually read the in-game news instead of mashing through it.

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Answer 5 LOLs 5 Agrees
    Options

As @TechHog said, standard rotation happens 2 weeks (and 1 day) earlier in Live, so all E block cards (BST-FST) rotated out of standard, you can still use these cards at in-person events until EUIC. Rotation happens annually (typically around the second Internationals of the season) to keep the game fresh. If you need help, I plan on posting some of my lists soon.

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Answer 5 LOLs 5 Agrees
    Options

Here's a topic for posting your lists (I said I would make my own topic for this in a post that needs reviewed, but then I found this)

• ThetaX55
    ThetaX55 Member Posts: 27
    First Comment Name Dropper
    Options

Kinda lame.

No need to block cards.

My custom deck isn't good anymore.

Expanded beta seems to let you play the cards.

Hopefully a error. Hopefully they can correct this.

Still like a mode with rules and still collect crystals. Still collect crystals and money playing with friends would be nice...

• TechHog
    Options

There's no error. This is how the Pokémon TCG works. Standard rotates out a block of cards every year. The cards still being playable in Expanded is also intentional. Rotation only affects Standard. There's no chance of it being reversed.

• ThetaX55
    ThetaX55 Member Posts: 27
    First Comment Name Dropper
    Options

The amount of baned cards is to much.

Wonder if they will bring back black and white. And beyond..

• TechHog
    Options
  • Milos_Pokedex
    Milos_Pokedex Member Posts: 3
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Options

I agree banning a mass set of cards is lame. My deck is ruined, the one simple card I had that could stop the chien pao + baxcalibur EXTREMELY broken combo is now banned… but that combo that is totally OP and a broken mechanic is NOT banned somehow??? Game would be so much better if the broken combos were actually banned & not just random large swathes of cards.

• TechHog
    Options

Rotation isn't banning. Old cards leave Standard. That's the difference between Standard and Expanded. If you can't accept that rotation is a thing that will happen every year, you have to stick to Expanded. It's simple as that.

Also, calling Chien-Pao ex broken is hilarious. It's super mid. It's better now thanks to Iron Hands ex, but if you're struggling this hard against it your deck is probably just bad.

• Milos_Pokedex
    Milos_Pokedex Member Posts: 3
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Options

@TechHog if you could read I stated the combo of chien + baxcalibur is broken. A card that lets you attach as many energy from your hand any time you want + the plethora of cards that allow you to have energy in your hand & recycle used energy to your hand is broken.
    it’s a silly kids game that just takes the best combo cards to win anyways so glad my son isn’t that interested. I’ll teach him some games that take some actual skill instead of card draw luck & broken combos.