Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Will the next mainline games be backwards compatible?

RiqMoran
RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

Theres a lot I do not like about the Pokemon Home era of games, but I do really enjoy that, unlike Pokemon Bank, there is connectivity between all of the switch games and you can freely move pokemon in and out of all Switch titles. How long will this continue, though?

I would personally love for Pokemon Home to continue to be the bridge for all modern games, not just for Gen 10 but also for the Switch 2 and all the games that come out on it.

Comments

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers

Probably not. Sadly, they'll probably continue using the Pokémon Bank formula, just upgraded.

(I would honestly prefer if they also had transferring methods like in Gen 3->4 or 4->5 so that nothing bad happens when the internet for the switch stops)

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

Pokémon Bank was supposed to solve the problem. Conveniently for the developers it also did not make use of the 3DS's internal storage but instead required you to pay a subscription to store the Kbs of Pokémon data on their servers.

Then the software designed to mitigate obsolescence caused by new console generations became obsolete in the very next console generation after its introduction.

Also the subscription fee tripled. And they are shutting down the previous version so that everything pre-Switch will be locked off.

Don't worry about it though. Just keep paying your subscription fees and buying new games to access Pokémon from previous generations to which we have now blocked your access.

• RiqMoran

Yeah, Bank was supposed to solve many problems but just didnt. Its reign spanning games from XY in 2013 to USUM in 2017 lasting 4 years was upended by the Switch games. Home retroactively covers games from LGPE in 2018 to the latest SV in 2022, also lasting 4 years.

And with both a new generation of pokemon games and a new console on the horizon, we're at a crucial point where they can either repeat their mistake or make things right this time. I still have hope.

• RiqMoran

Yeah, Bank was supposed to solve many problems but just didnt. Its reign spanning games from XY in 2013 to USUM in 2017 lasting 4 years was upended by the Switch games. Home retroactively covers games from LGPE in 2018 to the latest SV in 2022, also lasting 4 years.

And with both a new generation of pokemon games and a new console on the horizon, we're at a crucial point where they can either repeat their mistake or make things right this time. I still have hope.