Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Poltchageist: Convergent species or regional evolution variant?

MajorBrendan
MajorBrendan Member Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭
100 Answers 100 Likes First Anniversary 1000 Comments

with the new Pokemon, Poltchageist making a debut. It almost look like a branch evolution of Sinistea of Sort. All the same, the Pokemon possessing a tea caddie is pretty scary in on its own. Especially with the soul possessing the damaged tea caddie.

Comments

• Z-King252
    Z-King252 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic

Poltchageist is definitely a new Convergent Species. It is a Matcha Pot that came to life, as opposed to Sinistea who are 'lonely spirits' who possess leftover tea.

Poltchageist is the container, Sinistea and Polteageist are the tea themselves.

• Victorbrine
    Victorbrine Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

While they're both tea, matcha tea does have quite the difference compared to normal tea. Usually good old Bri'ish tea are made up of dried up plant materials. They can be ground up but they're usually just in pieces. Matcha though is ground up into a powder. They're still pretty similar.

Idk, there's no real definition for what is or what is not a convergent form.

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers

There's a pretty big difference between Poltchageist and Sinistea/Polteageist, so I doubt it's a new evolution. Also, it has a really different backstory. Even when it was leaked/hinted, it was introduced like a new Pokémon, just one similar looking to Polteageist.

So it's probably a new Pokémon, but the same kind as Wiglett and Toadscool.

• RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

It can't just be a new variant if it has its own name, can it? I prefer it that way. I think if you're going to reuse design elements you should minimize what you reuse. At least give it a name, give it a pokedex number. "Kalosian" this, "Johtonian" that. That's utter nonsense, just give it a name.

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

I actually think it's a new evolution- it shares the Ghost typing and doesn't actually stray that far from Sinistea, whereas other convergent Pokemon only have superficial similarities and might even move differently.

• D-ManBlue

@Z-King252 They say in the video that it's the matcha that makes up Poltchageist's body, not the tea jar.

• puplover1118
    puplover1118 Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees First Anniversary 25 Likes

@D-ManBlue “It may resemble Sinistea at a glance, but Poltchageist is actually an entirely different species of Pokémon.”

-The Official Pokémon Website

• puplover1118
    puplover1118 Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees First Anniversary 25 Likes

Poltchageist is confirmed to not be related to Sinistea in the lore. Therefore, it’s a convergent Pokémon.

• D-ManBlue

@puplover1118 Oh...I see. Guess I'm wrong then.

I still don't think it makes a lot of sense to have it be a convergent species when it could just as easily be a regional evolution. Both of the convergent species we've seen so far are so different from the Pokemon they are based off of that having one be derived from the other just isn't feasible.

The definition is still new, so I could be wrong, but why add a fearure when what you do with it could be easily achieved by something you've already made?

• MattCrafter6942
    MattCrafter6942 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Confirmed convergent on the website now.