Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Poltchageist (the new pokemon)

I think it's really creepy. I mean, the trailer just showed it putting kids to sleep, maybe eternal judging by the backstory.

What do you think?

Comments

• cpm1
    cpm1 Member Posts: 349 ✭✭✭
    25 Answers Second Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Agrees

it looks cool

• RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

It doesnt look like a pokemon. Pokemon blatantly based on manmade objects do not fit into the world.

• Samuelandyoki
    Samuelandyoki Member Posts: 24
    First Answer 5 LOLs 10 Comments Name Dropper

@RiqMoran Trubbish will remember that. 😭

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

Well yeah it's creepy, but what else is new when it comes to Ghost-types? Sure it steals the life force of people, but those are "rude" people. And it uses its matcha to fix things. What a creepy, matcha-flavored guy :)

He'll be a welcome addition to my team in the Teal Mask DLC.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

I like it. I loved Polteageist and this is clearly a green tea spin on it. Although the English name is a little more of a stretch than Polteageist. I like the Japanese name チャデス more than ポットデス though.

Need I bring up Voltorb and Magnemite from gen 1? Not to mention all of the other examples in subsequent generations.

I can understand the preference for organic inspirations for Pokémon designs. Generally I would probably even agree. But to claim that these Pokémon do not fit in the world when they have been a part of it since the first game is misguided and a long lost fight.

• ChampionSelene
    ChampionSelene Member Posts: 11
    Photogenic First Comment 5 LOLs Name Dropper

@RiqMoran

Dude.. what do you want them to do? Have all Pokémon be animals? They need some variety.

Also, it's a vengeful spirit inhabiting a tea jar. It's not really an object like Garbodor or some others are.

(Why do you hate object mons anyway? We got lazier designed animals than some objects, plus they make the world feel a bit more interesting. Like are you sure that's ice cream and not a Vanillite? Or that if you trade a Haunter in a Pokéball, it won't become a Voltorb? They're all pretty interesting, more than some animal mons anyway.)

• Stone489990
    Stone489990 Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Answer 5 Agrees

It is cool 😎 I will add it to my team

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

@RiqMoran I can see your point, but I really think it depends on the specific Pokemon. Poltchageist, for example, is not the tea jar itself, but rather a spirit made of matcha dwelling inside the jar. It feels more natural in this case.

• RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

Seems like we got some passionate replies.

So yeah, actually. I prefer animal pokemon. When I look at most pokemon I can believe that they are a part of that world and that they existed independent of humans. With that in mind, most pokemon that incorporate elements from manmade objects are bad and ruin the worldbuilding of pokemon. Yes, this includes gen 1 pokemon. Gen 1 is not perfect.

There are exceptions. Latios, Garchomp, and Dragapult are designs based on airplanes. This is what a proper objectmon looks like. Metagross is also an object of some sort, just not one we recognize, and that's exactly why it's good. When you break the illusion that what youre looking at is a species of creature that is supposed to exist in the wild, that detracts from the design.

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers

Pokémon aren't supposed to mimic the real world. Object mon actually make the world building better, and prove it's a different world with different creatures. Poltchageist is a Pokémon with an interesting backstory, and by not just existing because it does, it makes the world much more interesting. Also, it's a ghost possessing an object.

Plus, Object mon are actually more interesting than you think- their mere existence makes you ask how people deal with them, and what they do. This is not the human world, it's the Pokémon world, and it doesn't need to follow our reality.