Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Machamp (LOR) ability going into effect when it shouldn't

So you know how on Pokemon TCG Live when you knock out multiple Pokemon at once you have to collect the prizes for one Pokemon, then the next one afterwards. With Machamp it's ability says it gets an extra 150hp when the opponent has 3 or less prizes left. So I was playing Sableye (LOR) and knocked out a Bidoof and a Machamp. I took the prizes for Bidoof and had 3 left. And since the game does prizes one at a time and not at the same time, Machamp's HP went up and I wasn't allowed to take a prize.

I think a fix to this is either fix the bug itself or make it so that the player takes all of the prizes from multiple knocked at once (easier said than done).

Comments

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments 500 Agrees 250 Likes 50 Answers

... Actually, that interaction is interesting...

• Flagrama
    Flagrama Member Posts: 143 ✭✭
    100 Comments 5 Answers 5 Agrees Name Dropper

Probably not as interesting as you think. PTCGL appears to be wrong. Here's a related ruling for Stakataka (Unbroken Bonds 106) which has a similar ability, Wall of Stone: If your opponent has 3 or fewer Prize cards remaining, this Pokémon's maximum HP is 200.

---

Original Japanese: Q: 自分のサイドが3枚で、相手のベンチに残りHPが「10」のアローラベトベトンと、残りHPが「20」のツンデツンデがいます。

このとき、サポート「ホミカ」を使って、手札のマタドガス2枚をトラッシュした場合、1枚目のマタドガスの特性「ぶっとびボム」の効果でアローラベトベトンがきぜつしますが、2枚目のマタドガスの特性「ぶっとびボム」の効果でダメカンをのせる前に、ツンデツンデの特性「ストーンフェンス」ははたらきますか?

A: いいえ、はたらきません。

マタドガスの特性「ぶっとびボム」を2回使った後に、きぜつ処理をおこなうため、この場合、アローラベトベトンとツンデツンデは同時にきぜつします。

Machine Translation (DeepL): Q: You have 3 cards on your side, and on your opponent's bench there is an Alola Betobetbeton with "10" HP remaining and a Tunde Tunde with "20" HP remaining.

In this case, if you use the Support "Homika" and trash the two Matadogas in your hand, the first Matadogas' "Buttobi Bomb" will Kizetsu the Alola Betobeton, but before the second Matadogas' "Buttobi Bomb" can place a Damekan, TundeTunde's " Does the "Stone Fence" property of Tunde Tunde work?

A: No, it does not work.

In this case, Alola Betobeton and Tunde Tunde Tunde will be destroyed at the same time because they are destroyed after Matadogus' "Buttobi Bomb" is used twice.

Refined Machine Translation: Q: You have 3 cards in your prizes, and on your opponent's bench there is an Alolan Muk with "10" HP remaning and a Stakataka with "20" HP remaining.

In this case, if you use the Supporter "Roxie" and discard the two Koffings in your hand, the first Koffing's "Blow-Away Bomb" will knockout the Alolan Muk, but before the second Koffing's "Blow-Away Bomb" can place a Damage Counter on Stakataka does the "Wall of Stone" activate?

A: No, it does not activate.

In this case, Alolan Muk and Stakataka will be destroyed at the sme time because they are destroyed after Koffing's "Blow-Away Bomb" is used twice.

---

I believe the technical reason behind this is because the check for knockout doesn't happen until after Roxie and the two Koffing's effects finish. This causes the knockouts to happen at the same time, and then you pick up all the prize cards for the Pokémon knocked out on your opponent's side.

It would be the same in this case, the knockouts shouldn't be checked until all of the damage counters are placed and the effect of the attack finishes. Then both Pokémon get knocked out at the same time. Then you pick up the prize cards for both knockouts at the same time.

Due to when knockouts is checked there is no time for Machamp's ability to activate because it's already knocked out before you have fewer than 3 prize cards.