Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Pokemon Teambuilding Styles

D-ManBlue
D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

What's your general style when it comes to building a playthrough team for Pokemon?

I personally look for balance first and foremost, but I've found I'm most satisfied with teams that include a Water, Flying, and Grass type.

Comments

• Asacado
    Asacado Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments Photogenic

Conservative. Redirection, anti-setup, pivot, forced-reactions that would otherwise mean a win condition.

• puplover1118
    puplover1118 Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees First Anniversary 25 Likes

Type Coverage

• RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

My first consideration is how much I like the pokemon. I will look at a list of all the obtainable pokemon in the game, pick the ones i like the most, then transfer them in if possible.

But sometimes i end up with too many steel, rock, and dragon pokemon since those are my favorites. So then I try to balance it out by looking at the learnset of each pokemon and checking if theres good coverage.

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

@RiqMoran I mean, nothing's wrong with having type overlaps. Though I usually abide by the following loose guidelines with such things:

1. 3 or more Pokemon can't share the same weakness in a team.
    2. Both Pokemon should be dual typed if they share a type- preferably each having a secondary type that no other team member has.
  • RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

My first consideration is how much I like the pokemon. I will look at a list of all the obtainable pokemon in the game, pick the ones i like the most, then transfer them in if possible.

But sometimes i end up with too many steel, rock, and dragon pokemon since those are my favorites. So then I try to balance it out by looking at the learnset of each pokemon and checking if theres good coverage.

• Elberta
    Elberta Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    25 Agrees First Answer Name Dropper 10 Comments

I would just see what Pokemon I like the most and than which ones are the most over-powered and can easily sweep. Then, I just stack it with a bunch of attack moves, with literally no defense or stat boosting moves. This is why my team can easily be swept by one single Pokemon if unlucky enough. I also almost never add a grass type into a team, which is why Water-Ground type are my Achilles' heels.