Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Type vs. Theme Gyms

Answers

• RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

Speaking of Brassius's Sudowoodo, I thought that was so funny when I encountered it. Because he had a tree pokemon that thematically fits but is a rock type and that's a curveball. But then he goes and terastilizes it into a grass type. 🤦‍♀️

I would have had to change my strategy if he remained a rock type instead of switching to a grass type in line with the rest of his team.

• puplover1118
    puplover1118 Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees First Anniversary 25 Likes

@RiqMoran Iono's a different story. Mismagius' Levitate ability gives it an immunity to what would be super-effective ground type moves.

• hygiei
    hygiei Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

i remember when I was younger, my friend designed a frog-themed gym leader, which at the time mostly amounted to a water-type gym save for croagunk/toxicroak, but ever since then i've been interested in seeing themed gym leaders in the games-- I think it'd be a fun way to mix things up!

• hygiei
    hygiei Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

i remember when I was younger, my friend designed a frog-themed gym leader, which at the time mostly amounted to a water-type gym save for croagunk/toxicroak, but ever since then i've been interested in seeing themed gym leaders in the games-- I think it'd be a fun way to mix things up!

• RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

@puplover1118 funnily enough i used a Fraxure with mold breaker stomping tantrum against Iono's Mismagius. But yeah, Ionos Mismagius is the kind of variety that we need more of.

• puplover1118

The main issue that I have with themed gyms is that, if done wrong, they wouldn’t be very memorable. Having them be based on types would at least let people remember them for that.

• Elberta
    Elberta Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    25 Agrees First Answer Name Dropper 10 Comments

Type gyms should be used for the first few gyms of a region, and the theme-typed gyms should be used for the last few gyms of the region to prove more of a challenge than just bring Pokemon of a certain type that is super effective against the gym leader.

• puplover1118

@RiqMoran I bet you couldn’t do that against Elesa, with her using Emolga.

• LunarFlameMage3
    LunarFlameMage3 Member Posts: 9
    First Comment

I once planned an unnamed region to have a minor league circuit, that did type oriented gyms, and league; and a major league circuit that was a more competitive style hyper nuanced gym and league.

It was going to be set up like a Main game, Post game type thing; with a regional dex for the first run of the region and the second run of the region having the full national dex available in game.

The Second gyms would range from weather, to hazard play, to hyper offense and or stall, to ability shenanigans, to item play. The League would probably have teams that combined two or three different strategies. As an example, a hyper offense sun team that utilizes a combination of set up, items, and sun to sweep. Maybe Baton Passing on a rain team with set up and stall? Idk could be fun.

The idea of a minor and major league exists in Sword and Shield already. I just took that idea and ran with it into the sunset. Then realized that I don’t have the capability to implement any of these ideas.

• puplover1118

And “typed” gyms can be used to teach other mechanics. Raihan is a dragon type gym leader, but he uses a sandstorm team in double battles, both of which are otherwise rarely seen, if ever.