Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

about me in profile

Options
clasingla
clasingla Member Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭✭
5 Agrees First Comment 5 Likes First Answer

i see an about me thing when i go into my profile i am wondering how am i able to edit that or if its a feature that no one has access to

Best Answer

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Comment
    #2 Answer ✓
    Options

I think you used to be able to edit it, but I never bothered to put anything in there myself, so I never really checked.

I think this forum uses generic forum software, so often refers to a lot of inaccessible functions in the settings and profiles the admins have disabled over time or never implemented.

As an official forum for a child-focused franchise, I think they have been forced to limit a lot of functions in the name of safety. An about me section strikes me as the type of place an unwitting youngster might haplessly dox themselves. I could understand attempting to prevent that eventuality.

Answers

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes 5 LOLs 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

I feel the About Me section is about attracting attention and a bit social media like. I like the forums better without it.

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs First Comment 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

Most kids are stupid. This forum is designed to be kid-friendly.

Letting a kid have access to an about me section probably wouldn't go very well and could have real life consequences.

• Scorbunny1scute
    Scorbunny1scute Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Answer 5 Agrees 5 LOLs
    Options

Most kids can be fooled.

• Scorbunny1scute
    Options

I mean I could (not that I would) ask you how old are you, your name, etc.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

@Scorbunny1scute True, but it is reasonable to take steps to mitigate that possibility. If you don't have a big section labelled "about me" to fill in no kid is going to be tempted to accidentally tell you absolutely everything about themselves, including sensitive or personal information.

Plus, if you ask publicly on a forum, others can see you doing that and take steps to protect anyone they feel is at risk. If it is information publicly displayed on a profile page, we have no idea who visited it, saw or made use of the information.

• Scorbunny1scute
    Options

Yeah, I guess.