Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

vmax and vstar against safeguard

Just played a match using a tera mewtwo ex deck with xatu and a couple safeguard mimikyus, I was versus a mew vmax dte deck. Their bench was all mew vmax and genesect v, and I only had out a xatu and a mimikyu out, with mimikyu in the active with a luxurious cape. The opponent was able to knock out mimikyu using mew vmax. There were no cancelling colognes in play either. Does "vmax" or "vstar" not count as "v" pokemon? If so, I've just happened to not encounter this somehow lol. I have only been playing since paldea evoloved so I'm still learning, thanks!

Comments

• pikayou
    pikayou Member Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    25 Agrees First Anniversary 25 Likes 5 LOLs

VMAX and VSTAR Pokemon are Pokemon V, but your opponent likely used Mew VMAX's Max Miracle attack which goes through effects on your Pokemon. Even if they didn't have any Fusion Strike Energy they could have potentially copied it from a benched VMAX with Cross Fusion Strike.

• Nashedtators
    Nashedtators Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    5 Answers 25 Agrees 5 Likes 5 LOLs

I thought of that too but they were only using double turbo energies, because I learned the hard way about fusion strike energy blocking effects so I made sure that wasn't in play. It was probably a Max Miracle, given I've never actually read that move that's on me. Either way that's fine because they'll be rotated out soon! (Good riddance)

On that note, does that mean Shred (giratina v) can get through safeguard as well?

Thanks for the clarity!

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments Second Anniversary 500 Agrees 250 Likes

Fusion Strike Energy actually doesn't interact with Safeguard.

Yes, Shred goes through.