Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Can someone please explain to me the puns in What Kind of Future by Mitchie M?

Options

Bear in mind, I never was and never have been a Pokemon (pronuounced "Poh-keh" and not "Poh-key" (I'm finally getting the pronunciation right)) fan. Therefore, I know nothing about Pokemon. But as long as Miku is collaborating with a famous franchise - especially one that's made in her home country, Japan, I'll be more than happy to sit down and learn about Pokemon from the beginning!

So far, I only know Monster Ball ( モンスターボール ) = Poke Ball and Mirai Donna Darou = an existing Pokemon character named Miraidon. So if you can decipher the rest for me - as I'm still recovering from a migraine after successfully matching the Japanese names of Cooking Mama DS recipes to their English names for a bilingual menu I'm making, that would help alot.

Since she starred in 4 Pokemon themed songs, and I'm not sure if anyone else thought of this, but I wanted to bring this up: It's a shame Porygon never got to meet Miku, but Pikachu did! BTW, we have to snub Pikachu! He caused Pokemon Shock, not Porygon! And this would've been Miku's chance to say to Japan "Give Porygon a second chance!".

Answers

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs First Comment 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

There are way too many to actually try to list. But you can turn on English subtitles (Idk about the JP ones) and most of the puns including Pokémon names have them capitalised or with a - in the middle.

Example: the professor Onix-pectedly told me your true power is still Drowzee. (Onix, a rock type snake, Drowzee, a psychic type yellow thing with brown legs based on Japanese monsters that eat dreams.)

Swimming Lap-ras after lap while staying positive. (Lapras, a water type Pokémon that you can surf on. It's a blue turtle with a long neck and a horn. Stands on four legs and doesn't Evolve from or into anything.)

I am not very good at Japanese and a lot of Pokémon have different names in Japanese, so the puns might work a little differently and I can't help with that sadly.

Also, if you haven't noticed, when a pun is said, the Pokémon in the pun is shown. I'd recommend using a Pokédex (or Pokémon Zukan in Japanese) app/website or Pokémon Encyclopedia if you don't know what Pokémon the song is talking about as some only have part of their names in the subtitles (the EN ones at least).

Example: I'm a trainer who's Eterna-lly chasing dreams (Eternatus, a Poison+Dragon type legendary Pokémon that... I don't know what it is but it has infinite energy. Sometimes a skeleton dragon, sometimes a skeleton.. hand????)