Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Do any of you guys design your own Pokemon characters?

Alex_Vaporeon
Alex_Vaporeon Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
5 LOLs 25 Agrees 100 Comments Name Dropper

I know this is kind of random, but I just wanted to know if any of you did the same thing as me and was wondering if you'd like to share some. I have a lot (14), but I love them and need to talk about them. I'm just gonna list their names: Alex (main OC), Morgan, Kori, Raven, Isaac, Ari, Lucas/Luc, Lea, Kai, Tali, Ronin, Haru, Asami, and Devon

:)

Comments

• Alex_Vaporeon

Oops, I forgot Skyler haha :)

• Acornyo
    Acornyo Member Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 100 LOLs 50 Answers 500 Comments

The only one I designed (not on paper, I suck at drawing.) is my dream Gym Leader. He'd obviously be named Spencer.

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers

I remember making a Mary Sue OC when I was ten, based on my character in X (but much more basic). And I MEAN it when I say they were a Mary Sue.

Loved by all, secretly the strongest trainer in the world (stronger than both Red and Cynthia) but almost no one knows them (that's why they have never appeared before in a game/series), best friends with a Lugia, is friends with all my favourite characters too, and also can talk to Pokémon.

I've imagined a redesign but with my modern character design skills... However, procrastination is fun.

I've been way too busy learning professional art and drawing random stuff to make new ones, but I've really wanted to for a while and I might make new ones eventually.

• Alex_Vaporeon

@UnovanZorua Sorry if this seems kinda weird, but what do you mean by a 'Mary Sue'?

• Alex_Vaporeon

@UnovanZorua Actually nvm I found the definition

• TheDark_Sylveon
    TheDark_Sylveon Member Posts: 19
    Name Dropper 5 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic

idk what you mean by 'Characters' but yes, I invented my own pokemon. its sort of a Zamazenta/Flareon type of pokemon who is a dark/fire/ type and tera type is fire. I call it a Flarea-zenta. yes I know so creative. but if you mean like a gym leader, then I sorta just made one up, remembering a drawing I did. Nightshade. tall, black hair, has sort of a suspicious hood covering half of her head, eyes are bright green. dark type trainer, favorite pokemon that cares way too much about: a shiny Umbreon. carries a bow and arrows to add to the oddness. her hair is sort of in a loose ponytail/bun idk. her shiny Umbreon is named Dusky because why not...... um I think I said too much but ok.

• UnovanZorua

@Alex_Vaporeon

I'll just add a version here since most people here probably won't know what it means:

A Mary Sue is a character who is basically what you'd expect a ten year old's self insert to be. The most powerful being to ever exist, the prettiest or coolest looking person ever (except the creators are probably kids so their design often looks weird), everyone loves them, they have 30 secret abilities and none make sense, and some have multiple love interests, and the personality is either not there (if the creator is writing for a real series) or just the creator's but without any depth. Often found as self-insert OCs for an existing series that the creator loves.

It's not wrong to make a Mary Sue unless you're professionally writing something (especially if it's a well-known series, that'd suck for the fans). They're really fun to make, and it's kind of normal for most people who like making OCs and characters. A lot of people end up fearing making Mary Sue characters so they take away any bright colours or uniqueness from the design and taking away everything that can make a Mary Sue, like being cared about by the characters. A good character usually has balance between all the unique stuff and being normal, with depth, powers that make sense, and other stuff that appears in the most popular videos about writing characters like motivation and depth and other things (these things aren't that important though if you're not writing professionally so just enjoy making the characters please, you don't need to care if you're not showing people your stories).

• Alex_Vaporeon

@UnovanZorua

Wait so you're telling me other people make self-insert OCs to existing series???? OH THANK ARCEUS I'M NOT CRAZY

I have, like, 11

Not to mention an absurd amount of minor characters

I've stopped trying to keep track of them lol

• Acornyo
    Acornyo Member Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 100 LOLs 50 Answers 500 Comments

Bro everybody here wanted to be the best of the best but I just wanted to be the Dragon Gym-Leader :|

• UnovanZorua

I forgot to mention that the character's name used to be Aqua, my favourite colour, but a few months ago I started calling them Waterfall (which is a name I really like).