Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Ever think gym leaders run out of badges?

Options
Mechxel
Mechxel Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
5 Agrees Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment

If so, what would happen?

Best Answers

• bigbobo
    bigbobo Member Posts: 5
    First Answer First Comment
    #2 Answer ✓
    Options

They addressed this in the show way back. Misty sisters were running the gym they ran out before leavening for something. They lock up the gym for a day or so to get more badges. In Misty’s case she had to make an open the gym back up. Do not forget most gyms in latter games a series had double functions. Like power plants, massive forges, mines an in like.

• Ashlin24
    Ashlin24 Member Posts: 37
    5 Agrees First Answer First Comment Name Dropper
    #3 Answer ✓
    Options

When there were still physical ones I don’t think they did because the Pokémon league probably gave the a constant supply.

• Acornyo
    Acornyo Member Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs First Comment First Answer 5 Likes
    #4 Answer ✓
    Options

If they ran out of badges then they'd have to probably sign an agreement saying that you beat the gym. However, they probably got a factory for them.

Answers

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 884 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

I don't know how much the anime continuity's rules apply to the game continuity. I would say that the Special manga is closer, but again, a distinct continuity. We can maybe assume that elements from these alternate continuities are an indication of how they might be realised in the game, assuming we do not have any clarification from an in game source.

It is also worth remembering that in the canon gym leaders are supposed to be very difficult to defeat, with player characters and rivals being uniquely gifted trainers. The relative simplicity of the actual video game is not an indication of how easy those trainers are supposed to be to defeat for your average member of the public. It is probably rare for gym leaders to run out of badges.

Are badges even physical objects anymore? In the ninties they were clearly physical badges and it made sense to distribute them as a form of certification, but in the modern era, where every trainer seems to have a combination Pokédex, smart phone, camera, emergency hover pack magical ghost box, would you even bother with physical badges over updating an online trainer licence or something?

• bigbobo
    bigbobo Member Posts: 5
    First Answer First Comment
    Options

I fully agree. I was just using media that I know off the top of head addressed the question at hand. To be fair I think you are right in sense. Because in S/V almost everything is on phone so physical badges are kinda meh. Tho in sword an shield we still had physical, when collected it made a whole coin. Thinking about it tho I myself never saw the rotomphone being used to collect the badges. Still I will leave that up for debate for the time. With be a digital badge sorta say you never really have means of running out. I still hope they still physical badges in universe, all ways nice wall deco after journey is done an preparation for the next.