Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Is there a Japanese version of the site?

Options
UnovanZorua
UnovanZorua Member Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭✭
5 LOLs First Comment 5 Agrees 5 Likes

Just curious, I couldn't find any official ones (probably because I'm not good at Japanese).

Comments

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs 5 Likes 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

Not on the official site to my knowledge.

• TheJeffers
    Options

Just to clarify, I assume you are talking about an official forum like this one?

There is an official Pokémon website, obviously.

• UnovanZorua
    Options

@TheJeffers

I'm asking if there's an official forum. I've seen the Japanese website a few times before.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

If there were it wouldn't be related to this one in any way. Different companies.

• UnovanZorua
    Options

@TechHog

Even if it isn't connected to this one, I'm just asking if there's an official Japanese forum, not if there's a Japanese version of this one.

• TheJeffers
    Options

Most of the Pokémon discourse I see in Japan tends to take place on social media sites.

Twitter, for example, has been very popular for many years here, in part because the use of kanji makes Japanese sentences very concise. You can fit a lot more in a Tweet. Words are often one or two characters.

Are you asking purely out of curiosity or are you wanting to talk to Japanese fans?

• UnovanZorua
    Options

@TheJeffers

I kinda just wanted to see the Japan side of the fan base and attempt to understand a little Japanese. I've been wanting to learn and practice Japanese for a while too (even though Kanji are scary). (I realise I could use any other site)

The real reason though was mostly curiosity.

• TheJeffers
    Options

@UnovanZorua Have you actually studied before? If not, there's no time like the present. I recommend you knock hiragana and katakana out first. You can learn them in a week if you are dedicated, but it took me a couple. Then you can actually start reading and drop romaji as soon as possible.

The kanji is daunting at first but it is something you keep chipping away at. Initially I dreaded seeing them and wished everything was hiragana, but now they make reading and understanding so much faster almost the opposite is true.

As for the connecting with Japanese communities and speakers, it's never been easier with the internet.

The Pokémon games were actually some of the first I played in Japanese. The first four gens are kana only, but from gen 5 you can enable kanji too. Playing through the series parallels your learning nicely in some ways. The only thing that sucks early on is that you do not have enough real Japanese vocabulary to recognise when a word is a nonsense Pokémon name or a regular word.

Good luck with your studies.

• UnovanZorua
    Options

@TheJeffers

Yeah, I can already read Katakana and Hiragana, and I've started practising Kanji (by playing SV in Japanese since it has hiragana and katakana translations over the Kanji).

I kind of wanted to see how real Japanese people talk online though, and an official Pokémon website would've been a nice place to do that (some people over there would probably be kids or young and use simpler Kanji that are easier to know, so it might've been a good start. It's just a guess, though, and I'd probably barely understand anyway.)