Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

What's the website's past?

Options
UnovanZorua
UnovanZorua Member Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭✭
5 LOLs First Comment 5 Agrees 5 Likes

I've seen a few accounts being a year or two old, but I've only heard about this recently. Most accounts are also pretty new, and the one or two years old accounts seem to be pretty rare.

What was this place?

Comments

• Eremas
    Eremas Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes 5 LOLs 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

It's a mystery. *Shrug*

• Acornyo
    Acornyo Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs First Comment First Answer 5 Likes
    Options

Maybe they were devs or beta-testers? That's the only thing that makes sense.

• Archaic
    Archaic Member Posts: 11
    Name Dropper First Answer First Comment First Anniversary
    Options

Until they re-launched these forums in July, these forums were primarily focused on the Pokémon TCG Live Beta, as a place for users to report technical issues and bugs. While I don't know exactly when this place was open, a variety of posts dating back to February 24th, 2022 are still visible in the sub-forums for the Pokémon TCG Live.

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭✭
    5 LOLs First Comment 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

Oh. Where were they talked about? I'd never heard of this until recently. And what was it like? Your account seems to be over a year old, so could you tell me about some differences between the past and now? And was the link always community.pokemon.com?

• Archaic
    Archaic Member Posts: 11
    Name Dropper First Answer First Comment First Anniversary
    Options

I can't recall if they were actively talked about anywhere, though I believe there was a link at the bottom of the TCG Live website even while it was in beta, and there was also link to the forums in the TCG Live Beta app itself.

As far as differences go... it was more focused specifically on the TCG Live, and there were less sub-forums.

The oldest email I can find from the forums about my account was using the community.pokemon.com URL, however I did find a forums.pokemontcg.com in my browser cache (with that domain currently redirecting to pokemon.com), so unless that was a previous separate forum (and Pokémon have had other official forums in the past, so that's not impossible), then I'd guess these forums were on that domain before getting moved to the current subdomain at some point in mid-2022.

• Flametix
    Flametix Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 LOLs
    Options

To add on, I registered in December 2022 because that was when TPCi_GarbageKing started posting detailed Unite patch notes with numbers in English for the first time. Before that they would occasionally just update the main site with vague notes, but then they just tweeted out a link here instead at some point.

• Flametix
    Flametix Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 LOLs
    Options

Also all the subforums existed by that point at least and I remember seeing a small handful of other posts in each section around that time. The oldest (not deleted) post in the General Pokemon subforum dates to June 2022 asking about the friend safari.

According to the internet archive, forums.pokemontcg.com existed in 2016-2017 and was a forum for the old TCG Online app.

• Prince_Ludwig
    Prince_Ludwig Member Posts: 39
    5 Likes 5 Agrees First Comment Name Dropper
    Options

TCGO and its beta forum existed far before 2016. Think early 2011. I was one of the beta testers there!

Back then you were only supposed to talk about TCGO, but they did let us talk about general Pokémon.

This new forum was made in 2022 when they were announcing a migration to a new forum because TCGO was gonna disappear. Then they opened it up to a general Pokémon discussion board.