Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Did you know you could nickname pokemon after they were transferred?

RiqMoran
RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

Not sure exactly how it works, but isn't it cool that you can still nickname some pokemon after transferring them? Scarlet Violet somehow recognizes that it's your DS or 3DS game that the pokemon originated from.

Though there seem to be some limitations. For instance, if a pokemon already had a nickname, you cant give it a new one even though it's yours. And somehow this ownership recognition doesnt work across switch titles. If you catch a pokemon in Violet, you can't nickname it in any of your other switch games.

Comments

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

Is it tied to your Nintendo account on your 3DS? Or can you just nickname any un-nicknamed Pokémon from earlier console generations?

• RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

Just tested. In Scarlet Violet, it seems any pokemon transferred up without a nickname can be given one, except ones met through fateful encounters.

Definitely less impressed now, since i can nickname pokemon that werent actually mine. But oh well. At least i can nickname my pokemon from Emerald, Crystal, and Platinum.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

I suppose that is preferable to certain Pokémon never being able to be nicknamed again because they come from an older game they could never be returned to.

• UnovanZorua
    UnovanZorua Member Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers

It only works on unnicknamed Pokémon and not just for older games (you can rename unnicknamed traded Pokémon too)