Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Does Marill count as a Pikachu Clone?

Dedenne90524
Dedenne90524 Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
First Anniversary 25 Agrees 5 Answers 25 Likes

Is Marill a Pikachu Clone? I know it’s not an electric type, but it shares some resemblance to Pikachu. And if Marill isn’t a Pikachu Clone, does Johto have any Pikachu clones?

Answers

• Flametix
    Flametix Member Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    500 Comments 100 Agrees 100 LOLs 100 Likes

Yes.

• RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

No

• Mechabsol
    Mechabsol Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment

Probably. I think it definitely was made to follow up on Pikachu's success

• AceTrainerBasil
    AceTrainerBasil Member Posts: 18
    Name Dropper 5 Agrees 10 Comments Photogenic

I believe Pichu is the actual Pikachu clone of Gen 2. Idk who started that Pikablue thing, to me those two look nothing alike.

Btw, in Gen 9 there might be no pikaclone cos Pawmi is kind of more like early game Electric type like Shinx or Yamper. So if you don't agree with Pichu, no Pikachu clone isn't something unheard of.

• D-ManBlue
    D-ManBlue Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    100 Agrees 5 LOLs 5 Answers 100 Comments

Gen 2 didn't have a Pika clone because they gave us Pichu.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 500 Agrees 250 LOLs First Anniversary

Idk who started that Pikablue thing, to me those two look nothing alike.

@AceTrainerBasil In the early days of the commercial internet most people in the west couldn't read Japanese or access machine translation, so the obscure runes マリル next to images of the round blue mouse went unheeded, and rumours ran rampant with no way to confirm them.

Adding to the confusion was the fact that a lot of GS content was released in Japan by the time the rest of the world got RB, so bizarre rumours about new Pokémon turned out to actually be true at the time.

Someone must have decided it looked like a Pikachu, showed pictures from Japanese magazines and primative websites without context, and the idea must have spread from there.

I miss the 90s. There's no mystery or fun anymore. Now everything in games is released, leaked and fact checked months before you can even play it.

• AceTrainerBasil
    AceTrainerBasil Member Posts: 18
    Name Dropper 5 Agrees 10 Comments Photogenic

https://community.pokemon.com/en-us/discussion/comment/14994#Comment_14994I actually like that now I know most of the key aspects of the game in advance, makes it easier to plan my playtgrough. To me Pokémon is a game of planing, logistics and all that stuff. It's the calculation of what pokemon to use, what breakable TMs to teach them, when to evolve, etc. All that is nearly impossible without leaks. I prefer being excited about something I know that is coming, than be surprised by something I didn't know was a thing. I love the hype season, I love discussing rumors with people from all over the Earth.

• OlderAngel11
    OlderAngel11 Member Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 250 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Agrees

I think that Marill was just a cute... Bubble. Don't really know. I think Pichu was "The Pikachu clone" of that season.

• Arbiter1337
    Arbiter1337 Member Posts: 40
    Name Dropper 5 LOLs 10 Comments Photogenic

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Tera Water Marill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pikachu: 224-264 (106.1 - 125.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO