Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Opinions on shiny hunting? Or the odds of finding shiny Pokémon?

IgnitedBush
IgnitedBush Member Posts: 4
Photogenic First Comment

What's everyone's opinion on the rarity and odds of finding shiny Pokémon nowadays? Or just dedicating time to hunting shiny Pokémon in general? Do you think it's just a waste of time, or do you think it has a reasonable amount of fanbase?

Comments

• Funboy35
    Funboy35 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Photogenic 5 Likes 5 Agrees 5 LOLs

I typically don’t search them out in the mainline video games. If I find one by chance, great!

It’s not like I haven’t tried. I wanted to know the same feeling that more dedicated community members had. So in Galar, I tried hatching a Shiny Milcery and encountering a Shiny Regidrago. Both my efforts paid off! But whew, the process sure takes a lot of time…

• JCMasterpce
    JCMasterpce Member Posts: 9
    First Comment

Shiny hunting has been given a boost in more recent generations, which has in turn led to more people willing to invest the time. This in turn has boosted the games’ longevity.

Currently, PLA and SV are the most fun for shiny ✨ hunting. It’s still hard work, but it doesn’t feel as hopeless as it used to.

• GrassFanboy
    GrassFanboy Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment

For Pokemon that do not change much like Gholdengo I would say yes but for Pokemon that change a lot I would say no.

• WilliamW3
    WilliamW3 Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment

I think the odds are pretty good right now and it is accessible for everyone but some people in the community are a bit obsessed and use more time then they should hunting for differently colored pocket monsters does not change that it is fun though

• Dedenne90524
    Dedenne90524 Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 25 Agrees 5 Answers 25 Likes

It’s a waste of time, but at least the Pokémon (probably) looks cool.

• lugiepie
    lugiepie Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment

I think for some games, finding shinies feels like a real treat. Like, I’ll never forget finding my shiny Suicune in Pokemon Crystal (VC release), especially when I was way younger and was going to quit at 400 soft resets. That really got me into shiny hunting!

But in a lot of the newer games, I feel like it’s too easy (see PLA and SV for instance). Which, at least for me, feels like a double-edged sword. On one hand, it really ruins the value of shiny Pokemon, where you feel like your experience playing the game is less special than it used to be because everyone also found a shiny. On the other, I personally prefer the shiny colors of a lot of Pokemon and breeding or hunting them for a competitive team is so much easier now. So it’s complicated.

I wish the starting odds were still 8192 as that makes random shinies during your playthrough that much more special, but have a way to increase odds in the post game for that type of stuff (shiny charm, rare sandwich ingredients, foreign ditto, etc). That’s just me

• RiqMoran
    RiqMoran Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    5 Answers 25 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees

I posted a discussion where I explain this in detail, but basically the problem with the low odds from older games is that shinies were so elusive you could play every game and never once encounter a shiny. And if you went out looking for a shiny legendary, you could sit down for hours a day weeks on end and give up after realizing how much time youve wasted.

The time sink was too high a barrier of entry to shiny hunting and now that's been changed so that collecting shinies is accessible to a lot more people who previously did not find the reward worthwhile.