Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Does losing or conceding in Casual Battle lower your "playing level"?

Options

I feel a lot of pressure when playing ranked battles. To release tension, I try to play casual battles where there is no pressure, just an opportunity to practice. However, I often find that people playing casual battles aren't even trying, and worse still, they concede even before the coin toss. I would say that the level of practice in casual battles is even lower than when I test my deck against the AI.

I feel like I'm constantly fighting an uphill battle in ranked battles. I have been stuck at the lowest rung of my league's ladder so many times now. I can't afford the Arceus deck that everyone seems to have, especially since I've only been playing for a short time.

Would losing at casual battles help me find weaker opponents with less experience or those using more sensible decks in ranked battles?

Best Answer

• DoubleCure
    DoubleCure Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    #2 Answer ✓
    Options

And regarding the question if casual match results have impact over the ranked ladder matching calculations, only they know... the "formula" they use it's not public.

But if I had to guess from what I have experienced I would say it doesn't go into the "secret formula", at list to me nowadays the casual it's ok to test if a deck has broken cards or to try some rogue/new decks without the winning goal, so I lose/concede many games in casual mode and in the ranked ladder I'm still paired like 80% of the times with significantly higher ranked players.

Answers

• DoubleCure
    DoubleCure Member Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

I wouldn't take the ranked ladder that serious most of the rewards are not that good for the amout of effort they require, but it's harder to win indeed if you have low experience and don't use a good deck.

If you are unable to build the top decks the best it's to do your daily quests and finish the Battle Pass (Premium too), once you can build top decks and learn how to play them you will have a much better win rate, but all this takes some time for new players, you will have to grind a bit. Also help if you follow the top content creators on youtube they not only explain and show how to play decks but also give you a good idea on what you will play against.

• n00bl00d
    n00bl00d Member Posts: 43
    5 Agrees 5 Likes First Comment Photogenic
    Options

Thank you, I find your answer relieving.

I enjoy playing so far, in the last two months I saved enough to get a Mewtwo V-Union deck and just yesterday I met people with a deck that prevents me to retreat my Pokemon either by Block ability from Snorlax or by injuring my Pokemon until I can not use my Gardevoir's ability to put energy to it. It is frustrating but also exciting to discover new ways to win. I'm definitely saving up to make a Snorlax deck next.

And I did look up to content creators on YouTube and copied their deck as much as I could afford with my resources. In the meantime, I will focus on the daily quests, until my Snorlax deck is finished and ready to rotate among my favourite decks.

• 10types
    10types Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    5 Agrees First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes
    Options

Don't worry about your rank. The more you care, the less fun you'll have (as you yourself have noticed). It's just a game, so try to enjoy it even if you lose. And yeah, the casual ladder is pretty bad unless you're very new

• Yip7847
    Yip7847 Member Posts: 13
    First Comment Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

Oh, and from my experience the pre made decks are pretty good already. just go through them and see which one clicks with you. for me, I didn't find one, but the game already has some cards built in, so I made a corviknight V deck that works really well. TLDR: the pre made decks are good. Experiment with them.