Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Hacker? Or Bug?

So I was playing a casual game, using the Origin Forme Palkia Deck, and someone had the Miradon V Deck, and they were doing the Tag Team strat and retreating the photon blaster legendaries. I did a big brain play and escape roped his second one, right after he used photon blaster on the primary. Then, I killed him with Palkia VStar’s Subspace Swell, and he brought his primary Moriadon back into the fight. I knew he couldn’t use proton blaster again, as it had a cooldown of one turn, but he used it anyway. He killed my Palkia and my defenses fell. He only used it twice in a row once, so it could just be a bug. I’m bummed I lost that round, though…

Answers

• Edurandomnumber
    Edurandomnumber Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Agrees 25 Likes

This is neither a bug or a hacker, the effect "This pokemon can't attack next turn" it's removed from the pokemon the moment it leaves the active.

So, the moment you played escape rope the Miraidon that was in the active before got its ability to attack back.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments 500 Agrees 250 Likes 50 Answers
    edited April 2023 #3

To be more precise, the inability to attack is an effect of the attack on a Pokemon, and effects of attacks on an active Pokemon are removed when they switch to the bench. It's been like this since the 90s. 100% intentional.

So don't feel upset that you lost. You weren't cheated.

• csmimikyu
    csmimikyu Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes First Answer

Going back to the bench resets the attack. It's the same thing with Mew Vmax, so using the escape rope and sending it back to the bench will have reset the first attacker, allowing them to use it 2 turns in a row.

• Charlie_RV
    Charlie_RV Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic

I have researched and found feedback within the forum to the same question I had getting back into playing TCG recently, and encountering a similar situation not just of TCG Live, but also within participating in League Challenges. The matter being whether “Attack Effects” are removed just like “Status Effects”, i.e. poison, confused, paralyzed, etc., once the active Pokémon returns to bench. And the answer, to the matter of the similar removal of Status Effects, is yes. Attack effects, like status effects are removed once the active Pokémon returns to bench.

Prime example that I had in similar question in battle was in the case of SVI, Miraidon EX, in which the context of the attack, Photon Blaster, states, “during your next turn, this Pokémon can’t attack”. This “attack effect” can be removed by returning the active Pokémon to bench, and can be used within the same turn by the same Pokémon being brought back to being active.

It is specified in the rule book on page 20, Category: Full Details of Attacking, under sub-category B), which states;

B) Apply any effects that might alter or cancel the attack. For example, if an attack that was used against your Pokémon last turn says, “If the Defending Pokémon tries to attack during your opponent’s next turn, your opponent flips a coin. If tails, that attack doesn’t happen.” (But remember—if an Active Pokémon moves to the Bench, all effects of attacks go away. So if your Active Pokémon has changed since your opponent used the attack in this example, you don’t have to flip a coin.)

This same principal would apply to the SVI, Miraidon EX, Photon Blaster attack. I hope this clarifies the removal of Attack Effects for anyone else just getting back into playing TCG, or just starting.

• dshadowmass
    dshadowmass Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

I just played a hacker. The account started with n. He played Charizard. And he used 5 bosses orders. I know this because I had 1 ex and he bossed up single prizes. He won the game on the 5th boss to boss up my xotu. He used first boss on my mew ex second on xotu third on xotu fourth on xotu then magically had a fifth to KO my last xotu. I super roded and tulip to get my xotu back. And I don't remember if he used palpad or not.