Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Does anyone know why alot of cards are being banned?

Options
Jeff7302
Jeff7302 Member Posts: 1

It's cards from every deck I have. The ones I checked are the decks I usually use and the banned cards are all from the pokemon sword and shield versions....

Answers

• GlutenFreeCode
    GlutenFreeCode Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Options

It's called rotation. There's an official blog post about it: https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/2023-pokemon-tcg-standard-format-rotation-and-pokemon-tool-errata

TL;DR: every two years(?) or so, basically all standard cards are taken out of play and replaced with new ones to "force players to evolve their meta".

• Edurandomnumber
    Edurandomnumber Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    5 LOLs First Answer 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    Options

@GlutenFreeCode it's every year, this time being 2 years was an exception because they changed the rotation dates so we can have the same rotations Japan has.

• Loveless717
    Loveless717 Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    Options

Looks like they updated prematurely bc there is still a few hours until 3/30 and haven’t updated any of the reprint cards as standard or loaded any new cards.

• pokeray90
    pokeray90 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Options

It took me a while to figure it out but it seems that since rotation is starting on PTCGL tomorrow, and the release of the new set as well, they have preemptively banned the older cards for rotation. It makes it so that we have a day where we cannot play a true pre or post roation game unfortunately.

• JakeStarr
    JakeStarr Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Options

The amount of cards they banned basically nuked all of the decks they allowed for new players and players migrating over. This was a poor decision. MtG is far smarter in banning cards one or two at a time and forcing players to adapt in smaller increments. Banning 10-15 cards in a deck that is purchasable is a terrible business decision and will run players off who don't spend the time trying to deck build, and simply enjoy the ability to play with something standard and easy.

• Xanr13
    Xanr13 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Options

I installed the app 5 days ago. I hope they release new free pre-built themed decks so i can play again after whatever it is they are doing...

• Edurandomnumber
    Options

@JakeStarr this is not the first time it happens; set rotations have been a yearly thing almost every year for over 20 years.

• Edurandomnumber
    Options

@Xanr13 we are getting 8 new pre-built deck tomorrow (Palkia Vstar, Dialga Vstar, Giratina Vstar, Serperior Vstar, Koraidon ex, Arcanine ex, Lunatone/solrock and Regieleki Vmax).

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    edited March 2023 #10
    Options

MtG has a set rotation too. What are you talking about? Lol. It's not 10-15 cards, but rather hundreds. An entire year of cards. But this is normal. Bans and rotation aren't the same thing. You should have done your research if you thought Standard was a perpetual format.

Anyway, there are 8 new starter decks now which are legal.