Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

This game has no tolerance for connection drops

Options
TechHog
TechHog Member Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes

As you all know, there are several issues in this game that keep popping up but never get fixed. The likely reason for this is that they aren't able to recreate the issues on their own setups and thus can't find the cause. Another thing though is that a lot of people such as myself never encounter these issues.

Here's the actual truth, most likely: All of the major gameplay bugs may be related to connection issues. I'm sure that some of you will protest and say that your connection is perfect, but I actually think the current streaming is so sensitive that even a half-second drop can cause issues. I ran an experiment where my connection dropped periodically during the game, and for the first time I experienced many of the common issues.

• Infinite timer desync (first time since the patch in January at least)
  • Not being able to select certain cards
  • Cards floating and getting stuck
  • "No valid cards"
  • Being unable to select certain cards when searching
  • Battle Pass not available

It seems clear that the issue is that the game just can't handle any form of connection drop. A temporary solution would be to actually be to make it more sensitive and automatically DC the user as soon as any packets are dropped. Then you'll have to hire people who can design rollback netcode properly.

Comments

• squibix
    squibix Member Posts: 43
    First Anniversary 5 Agrees First Comment
    Options

TechHog, thanks for doing these tests and for the post! This matches my experience as well. Seems like something the devs and actual testers should be aware of... If they learn about it from your post and make changes, you'll be a hero for the ages!

• Aikanaros
    Aikanaros Member Posts: 3
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Options

This happens regularly to me and makes me mad because I don't have a very stable wifi connection and I lose lots of ranked matches because of it. The game totally freezes at some point.

This makes no sense because handling this issue is basic online gaming programming. How can't Pokemon implement it? How could this game get out of Beta without fixing this simple issue??