Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

Why Expanded Format Needs to Be Fully Supported in TCGL(BW+XY)

In my personal opinion, I feel that expanded adds a lot more variety to the game because whilst standard is good for the mainline competitive scene, I find myself limited to a certain pool of cards over a certain time period and there is a clear meta within the format, so there is like only a few decks that are competitively viable and as time goes on it gets boring and it gets to the point where new sets get boring because people just pick out the cards that will make particular decks OP, further encouraging a meta.

The great thing about expanded format is that it is a larger card pool. More cards to play around and experiment with, more decks to build and there are so many counter archetypes that there aren't really meta decks in the format that are clearly better over others. There is no perfect expanded deck in the format mainly because of the amount of cards that are available to use.

Shifting to in person play I think that TPC or Play Pokémon don't necessarily encourage or support a wide enough demographic in terms of people's socio-economic background. This is because, in person play only currently supports standard format(with the occasional GLC or even expanded side event), and standard as we all know makes cards from the past 2-3 years legal for play. This means that people are encouraged to keep buying cards from newer sets to keep their decks legal. How often does a new Pokémon TCG set come out? I would say every 3-4 months. I know many people along with myself that don't have the funds to keep investing in the latest Pokémon products to keep their decks legal for tournament play. Therefore, eventually the decks/cards people buy go rotate out of standard format and are not legal. Not everyone can throw their newly rotated cards away and buy the latest ones, it would just be a waste of time and capital.

Now shift that perspective to cards that are before Sun and Moon(BW+XY), a thriving era of the TCG where many people invested in packs and other TCG products so they could make there decks online or in person. Fast forward to 2024, there is no BW+XY card support on TCGL and there hasn't been an official expanded event(outside of Asia) since 2020. All those people that bought BW+XY products wanting to play either online or in person finding that they simply can't.

So, what's the solution? In my opinion, it would be to support BW+XY cards on TCGL first and foremost to allow online tournaments via third party websites like Limitless TCG to take place so players could have the opportunity to win prizes for high place finishes(e.g. x number of pack codes or x amount of prize winnings). For me it keeps older cards relevant and will attract new and older players in to the format that may not have the funds to invest in newer sets through buying TCGL codes, but also allow older players to feel like there older cards are still playable and relevant.

Whilst it has been fun playing in a Sun and Moon on Expanded Format on TCGL for sometime, it is also getting quite boring in my opinion because in a sense you are still limited to cards from the past half a decade or so, running into the same decks over and over again. It's no secret that if you are an avid deck builder expanded is the format for you and I want the entire TCG community to take part regardless of there backgrounds.

I get that TCG Live has been a buggy mess for sometime now and the development team are doing all they can with the lack of resources but personally, I'm getting bored and tired of just playing 1 ranked format(Standard) and a half baked casual format(Expanded Sun And Moon on) and I think its time that this game got a new leash of life in the form of full expanded format support and a potential ranked ladder like its predecessor TCGO. Other Competitor TCG Clients like Marvel Snap and MTG have multi-format support and I think it wold be great if TCGL could match that.

With the shut down of PTCGO and everyone migrating to TCGL it felt like the entire player base got scammed in the sense that most of the card collection people spent years making and investing in are simply not playable among many other factors about the game. But in all honesty PTCGO released in 2011 outperforms TCGL released in 2023 and if I had the option to migrate back to TCGO if TCGL were to stay as it were now I would but I can't. Imagine being promised many so many things that would make Pokémon TCG more accessible and easy to play and not recieving that and having parts of a game you had being taken away. Thats what migrating to TCGL felt like. For me, Expanded format support would be a great start to making this game great again and competing with other TCG clients.

Now I know there has been talk about expanded format returning(all be it some time ago now) but it does say on the TCGL website(https://tcg.pokemon.com/en-gb/tcgl/) that expanded format support is in development. But since then, the lack of communication on expanded format support on TCGL has left players with more questions then answers to say the least. After all, BW+XY cards are viewable in your collection just not playable yet. I can imagine many of you reading this post just want an answer on this matter, don't worry I'm in the same boat as you, but we've asked for nearly 3 years we just want updates on what progress is being made with expanded format support in TCGL.

Thank You for reading this post and I welcome any feedback :)

Comments

• Jadite
    Jadite Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Agrees 25 LOLs

Keep in mind that they have to program interactions of 3000+ cards with every other card in the game at the moment. They'll likely get to it sometime.

• Cricketplayer10
    Cricketplayer10 Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes

@Jadite Yeah lets hope so! 3,000+ cards is alot I agree. After all expanded format in TCGL is the only piece of the game that is still in "Beta" so I hope they are still working on the playability of expanded!

• DoubleCure
    DoubleCure Member Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Likes 500 Agrees 50 Answers 500 Comments

Welcome to the club, you will have to stick around for a few more years, but it will eventually get fully implemented.

• TechHog
    TechHog Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2500 Comments 500 Agrees 250 Likes 50 Answers

I don't know why people think that playing Expanded means not having to buy cards.

If you're trying to convince them to hire staff just to finish Expanded, you need to avoid disingenuous arguments like this.

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭
    250 Agrees 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Answers

While I didn’t read all of that, it would be nice so we can play GLC

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 1000 Comments 250 LOLs 100 Likes

Non-rotating formats mean people don't have to keep buying cards. That is the argument.

Of course, power creep means that it is more likely you will need at least some newer cards to stay competitive. But at least theoretically your deck is legal and usable indefinitely.

• Cricketplayer10
    Cricketplayer10 Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees 5 Likes

@TechHog sure you can buy expanded cards for IRL play like battle compressor or double dragon energy but they are currently extortionately expensive arguably because a) they are hard to find and b) there is a high demand for it within the community that want to play expanded. Double Dragon energy is around USD$10 a card so in order to make a playset it would cost $40.

By making expanded return to either TCGL or in person play, it would make older cards more relevant and there would be a wider target market for people to play expanded. so people can dig out older cards from their collection because they are now relevant and playable and they could either: a) start making expanded decks with them or b) sell them cause they do not require them anymore and they can go to people that would use them.

More card availability means that expanded card prices can drop and become more affordable as long as demand remains stable.

So In conclusion, as people with lower socio-economic backgrounds can still be attracted to play the PTCG without "breaking the bank" by being drawn to newer cards and sets that are even more expensive than expanded cards because they are more meta relevant in standard format. They can play with cards that they already own that are expanded format legal.

• TechHog

I really don't know why you don't just play Yu-Gi-Oh instead.

You seem to think that more people playing means they'll reprint old cards/sets. Not likely.

• TechHog

Wait a second. I just read this again. You think more demand would decrease prices???? Dude, take an economics course. This is one of the most ridiculous claims I've ever seen.

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 1000 Comments 250 LOLs 100 Likes

@TechHog

I play lots of card games, including Yugioh. It greatly informs my opinion on each game I play.

Yugioh also suffers from having one format, though in that case it is a non-rotating one.