Welcome to the official Pokémon Forums!

Click here to review our official Rules & Guidelines.

I’m a beginner

I’ve always wanted to play tcg but never have and just got the app and started playing a bit but can i get any recommendations on beginner decks or how to build one properly? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Answers

• TheJeffers
    TheJeffers Member Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    500 Agrees 1000 Comments 250 LOLs 100 Likes

You are probably better off using preconstructed starter decks for now until you have a bit of experience under your belt. Building your own deck can be confusing at first.

You could try looking at videos for current standard decks on YouTube. Many of them include explanations for how to play the deck, why the cards and ratios in it were used, and perhaps even demo games.

If you have friends who play, ask if you can borrow their decks and learn from them. Not only is that a more comfortable and relaxed way of playing than online or in tournaments, but they can also talk you through the plays and explain things you don't understand.

• Grunt44
    Grunt44 Member Posts: 7
    First Comment Photogenic

Inspect the deck you've picked to play. Read all the cards, what they do, and how they synergize together. Every deck has some attackers, one or multiple, and some support Pokemon cards.

Learn what your trainer cards do.

Then just keep playing.

You can check popular decklists in the web and YouTube. Most of them has some variations.

Here are some popular decks you can try to build (Aug/2024):

Charizard Pidgeot

Regidrago Box

Gardevoir

Iron Thorns

Turbo Roaring Moon

• Ravenclawed1234
    Ravenclawed1234 Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭
    250 Agrees 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Answers

I would start by seeing what some YouTubers are playing (Tricky Gym and AzulGG being the best) or playing decks that did well in recent tournaments, just keep in mind that the winning deck is usually countered into oblivion for a few days. Right now I recommend Jesse Parker's top 4 Miraidon list or Rahul Reddy's top 16 Lugia VSTAR list for beginners, you might also be able to get by with Tord's EUIC list in the premium pass in the lower ranks.

• PokemiiAC
    PokemiiAC Member Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭
    1000 Comments 100 LOLs 100 Agrees 5 Answers

Even try tweaking the starter decks!

• PokemiiAC

start with starter decks, then move on to preconstructed Pokémon.com decks

• PokemiiAC
    An Introduction to Deckbuilding: Learn How to Build a Pokémon TCG Deck

this is a great Pokémon.com article also try top deck academy!

• DeceasedDeity
    DeceasedDeity Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

do anyone know how get or buy purple gems?

• uncomonfossil
    uncomonfossil Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Agrees 5 Answers

The most important steps towards getting resources, including gems, is to complete the daily quests & purchase the premium pass. (but do the cheaper option for 600 gems)